Miller mobile home furnace blower question

Old 03-08-16, 10:22 AM
G
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Miller mobile home furnace blower question

Our (1988 approx) Miller mobile home furnace is also our air conditioning unit. Does the blower fan have to run in both modes of use or is the blower fan only utilized during heating season. There is a push button that pulled out is set to off/auto or pushed in to on/continuous.

It seems that that when the button is pushed in and the door is tightly closed and the thermostat is set to cooling the air out flow in the registers on the floor is stronger. When i pull the button out, that air out flow is weak. I turn the thermostat up to a higher temp, ac turns off, but the blower stays on. Is this normal and should it be running like this?

Last edited by PJmax; 03-08-16 at 10:31 AM. Reason: added age to text
Old 03-08-16, 10:37 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,154 Likes on 2,834 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The same blower in your furnace is used for heat and A/C operation.

The switch you are describing is the fan thermostat. In auto mode it turns the blower on and off based on the heat of the heat exchanger in the furnace. If you set it to continuous the blower will run all the time regardless of thermostat setting.

Your blower motor is more than likely multiple speeds and can be set up to run the blower on one speed during heating and a different one during A/C operation.

Old 03-08-16, 04:20 PM
G
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have noticed that the thermostat is off by at least 4 degrees either direction of where it's set on the gauge. Would a digital wireless thermostat improve the function of my furnace used for heat and A/C operation? Or would something like this be more efficient with an update furnace used for heating & cooling?

Taking note of the fact that our "Unit" is an '88, half of parts are brand new, it may be a good idea to get a NEW one at some point in the future.

We thought of eliminating the oil furnace and installing split systems for heating/cooling. Would you recommend "split system" as good replacement for an oil furnace that is used a secondary heating source and main cooling source? We have a mobile approved pellet stove as our main heating source?

Old 03-08-16, 05:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,154 Likes on 2,834 Posts
So right now you have an oil furnace with an A/C coil.

What you switch to is heavily dependent on the cost to run it. The price of electric vs oil.
You have an oil fired furnace that is used as secondary heat. If it's reliable yet... keep it.

I have notice that oil fired furnaces usually benefit with a once a year cleaning.

A split unit is also a good idea but you will no longer have the benefit of the installed ductwork to move the conditioned air thru the unit.

As far as the stat.... a replacement digital one can be very inexpensive. The fact that it's 4 degrees off is no big deal as you can just set the stat up or down to counteract the shift.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: