New 5 Ton AC

Old 03-28-16, 02:39 AM
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
New 5 Ton AC

There is a possibility to get a replacement AC.

I have replaced an AC with a private company in the past for a rental property. I will not do that again. The company and the owner turns out to be "snake oil" salesman. Warranty turns out to be mickey mouse.

Anyway, I am thinking about buying through Costco on the Lennox AC for another rental property. Would like to get those who have gone this route or even own a Lennox AC. Is Lennox consider high end, middle end, or low end? How is it compared to Goodman which I am not so impressed with?

Should I also change out the furnace at the same time?

Also, if I get it new, should I have a 3-wires hard start kit installed?

PJMax, I know this is your area of expertise. Your thoughts please??? Thank You

Old 03-28-16, 06:02 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Lennox makes good equipment. But like every company they have a builder grade. Install is more important than the equipment. Personally Id go to an established HVAC company. Normal company's that work for costco, lowes, home depot etc are usely small start up company's. Some might do good work but normally they don't. Also one less player in the game that needs to get 10-15% from you.

Old 03-28-16, 06:05 AM
if furnace is more than say 8 years old id replace it. new equipment normal does not need a hard start kit.

Old 03-28-16, 11:56 AM
Thank you for your replies Airman!

Old 03-28-16, 12:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,953 Upvotes on 3,546 Posts
Some good information from airman.

I only do repair work. I don't actually work for an installing company but I've seen all kinds of work. The installation is at least as important, if not more important, than the equipment. I've seen people have problems with top of the line equipment and I've seen Goodman products run trouble free for a long time. Sometimes it's called "the luck of the draw."

Hard start kits are usually added to compressors when they are older and are having a hard time starting properly. They are rough on the start windings of the compressor which is why I wouldn't recommend installing one in a new compressor.

If you see one installed on a new compressor then it is because the compressor was designed with a more robust start winding and can take that extra power.

Old 03-28-16, 10:01 PM
Thanks PJMax. I was seeking for you because you helped me quite a bit in the past in this area. I will keep in mind that you are the ACrepairman.

Airman, what determines the size of the AC for a home? Roof material, single story or double storys, insulated windows, carpet, of course square feet, etc...??

I have read there is a heat cold load calculator. I have no idea what that is.

Old 03-29-16, 02:53 PM
A heat load is a must. If a contractor does not do one I would not use him. A proper sized unit will use less electricity and provide a better living environment by removing more humidity.

Old 03-29-16, 03:02 PM
everything but the carpet plays a roll in to determining the heat load. The state you live in, your insulation, home many people etc etc.

Old 03-29-16, 06:53 PM
Hi Airman, thank you for your advice on this thread.

Old 03-29-16, 10:01 PM
A
Received 92 Upvotes on 84 Posts
Here is a basic load calculator to play with. By trying it you can first see some of what goes into it. Secondly see how easy it is to get radically different results by changing an assumption or two. Just saying you need a lot of experience just to do the calculations.

HVAC Load Calculation - Maunualj - Whole House Loadcalc

Old 03-30-16, 01:58 AM
Hi Astuff, thanks for providing that link. It is a bit over my head since it requires an understanding of Stucco type and so forth. I think I will just leave it to the professional to do the calculation.

Thank you again.

Old 04-01-16, 05:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree with Pete & Airman regarding the installation. I'm often asked "what's the best brand of equipment?" My answer is "whatever brand the best installer uses". In 30+ years in the trade, I've seen a lot of "equipment" problems. The VAST majority (90%+) are directly traceable to improper installation. About 27-28 years ago, I installed in my own home the a/c with, at the time, the worst reputation. To date I have exactly $0.00 in repairs. As for maintenance, I rinse out the condenser a couple of times a year, have cleaned the evaporator once, & keep my cheap fiberglass filters changed.

Old 04-01-16, 10:17 PM
Hi Grady,

In 2012, I hired this one company to install a Goodman AC (3 ton) for one of my rental properties. In the next 3 years, he kept coming back every summer to get it working, covered under his warranty. He then complains about having to drive out to the property to fix it. And I would have to remind him that it is under warranty and had he done it right in the first place, none of this would required his time.

The first year, it was leaking water and running back into the house.

The second year, it was freezing over because of too much nitrogen and it was not getting cold air. That is at least his explanation.

I quickly really hated working with this guy because he became so much like a "snake oil" salesman. I never paid anything extra but it was just so annoying to hear his whining; foul mouth and his Dr Jekyll and Hyde routine.

We have another AC repairman who does our primary home. Like you said, if it is maintained/installed correctly, there is really little work into it. My AC for my primary home is 30 years old yet it is more reliable than that new 3 ton Goodman that this guy installed.

So, I believe Airman, PJMax and you that the installation is just (or not more) as important than the equipment.

Old 04-02-16, 04:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
5% Equipment & 95% installation.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: