AC overflow pan dripping

Old 05-03-16, 06:15 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
AC overflow pan dripping

My AC overflow pan is rusty and started leaking. First thing I notice the pipe for the overflow pan is not hooked up, that is not the cause of the leak, the pan has a hole in it, I can see that.

My question is I have not noticed water in this pan before. Now there is about 1/2" of water in it, may have had water in it before but I did not notice, is this normal? This is tucked away up in the attic, not something I look at.

Next, The outside drain for the AC appears to be functioning normally, dripping outside like it usually does. This is a horizontal unit and the underneath of the AC unit is dripping water, is this normal? Something I have never looked at before.

Any input greatly appreciated. Jim

Old 05-03-16, 06:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
That pan on the bottom is an overflow catch pan. If you see water in it.... you have problems.
If that air handler is installed where overflowing water could cause damage then that drain line on that pan MUST be run outside.

You see water outside dripping from the primary drain line but it is most likely partially clogged allowing the pan inside the unit to overflow. That line will need to be cleaned.

Old 05-03-16, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the quick response, greatly appreciated.

Where it can cause problems, we noticed the leak because the light in the closet was dripping water! So turned the electric off and all the lights on that end of the house and the attic and garage lights are off, flashlight battery needed charging, just normal stuff

So for now vacuumed the water out of pan and will check the primary drain line tomorrow and report back. Any special way to clean a 3/4" PVC line?

Overflow pan needs replacing and looks like it will be a miserable job! Jim

Old 05-03-16, 07:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 94 Upvotes on 87 Posts
You can put a Wet/Dry shop vac on the outside end of the drain line.

Old 05-04-16, 04:45 AM
Poked around the net a bit and found video on cleaning AC drain line. First time I have heard of cleaning the drain line!

I did not order the $29.95 plus S&H AC drain line adaptor but opted to duct tape the vacuum to the line. Had a moment of panic there and thought I had run out of duk tape!

What come out of about 20 feet of line was maybe 1 1/2 to 2 quarts of water, it was dirty but did not look particularly horrible, no big chunks or anything and I could hear the vacuum inside the house through the AC unit.

I see a place to put in bleach can be added, should I do that?

And then the overflow pan is in horrible condition, plus almost inaccessible. Not sure what to do about that?

I will leave the shop vac and extension cord in the attic for a bit, just in case.

Anything else I should do?

Thanks for the input, This is the second time you guy's have saved me a service call!

Always grateful for the help Jim

Old 05-04-16, 04:57 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Bleach is good at cutting mold so it should help but it's best to keep it away from steel [or rinse it well] as it can promote rust. Is your pan steel or plastic?

Old 05-04-16, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the response. The overflow pan is mostly rust, with a bit of steel left. I do not know about the internal pan?
JIM

Old 05-04-16, 10:05 PM
Group Moderator
You can remove the side access cover (in red box) to see the inside drain pan. There is a chance it could be rusted thru causing the leak.

Name:  3S3oDfCl.jpg
Views: 2955
Size:  26.8 KB

That insulation on the drain line is un-needed. What really should be in your drain line is a trap and a cleanout. That little thing sitting to the right of the drain line looks like an overflow switch.

Name:  ac trap.jpg
Views: 5943
Size:  15.7 KB

Old 05-05-16, 08:20 AM
Pulled the cover, yes it appears to be an overflow switch. Best guess it is not working.

The inside/primary drain pan is metal, it is coated. painted and looks to be in good condition.

There is a trap in the primary drain line outside the house.

Not sure what to do about the over flow pan it is in decrepit condition and no easy way to replace it. Jim

Old 05-05-16, 08:24 AM
Are the overflow pans pre made or are they something that is made for each job? Jim

Old 05-05-16, 05:58 PM
Group Moderator
They come premade in metal and now some are in plastic.
30x60 is a common size. Master Flow 60 in. x 30 in. Drain Pan-Home Depot

Now that I'm thinking further on this...... if your overflow pan is that rusted there must be water in it routinely. That needs to be corrected.

Old 05-05-16, 06:22 PM
This is FL, the humidity rusts everything, could be the original pan which would be 30 years old?

But I'll keep an eye on it!

It is beyond repairing so I am formulating a plan for replacement, will post again once I have it all figured out.
Many thanks Jim

Old 05-05-16, 06:36 PM
Group Moderator
They have that miracle spray on TV where the guy sprays a piece of screen as the bottom of the boat and no water comes thru. (gotta love TV)

Old 05-05-16, 07:10 PM
On TV anything is possible, ever notice when they shoot at Superman the bullets bounce off his chest, when they throw the gun he ducks!

Old 05-06-16, 05:08 AM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
Is your filter and evaporater coil clean ,just had a friend in Fl. with a similar problem primary pan overflowing ,and the outside surfaces of the AH were sweating like crazy running into the overflow pan,cleaned coil and replaced the filter with the correct size and it seemed to solve the problem.

Old 05-06-16, 05:36 AM
Thanks for the reply, the filter is clean, I change it often. The evaporator I have no idea, I have not cleaned it in the 3 years I have been here, will have to look at it. This AC is accessed by running an obstacle course through trusses, not as bad a s the last house. That guy must have built ships in bottles!!!!

Vacuuming out the primary drain did cure the issue for now. Jim

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: