Clean Window AC Unit - Now compressor doesn't cycle

Old 05-26-16, 07:36 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Clean Window AC Unit - Now compressor doesn't cycle

All,
First time post to this group. Hope someone can help me out.
Since it is getting warm, I did a major cleaning of my Frigidaire Model FAC106P1A window AC unit. I put everything back together, and put it back in the window. When I did, I noticed the unit did not seem to be 'cycling', turning the compressor on/off. I also noticed the Ionizer wire came out of its casing. (It late and dark, so didn't have time to investigate further).
I should mention it is blowing cold air, and seems to be running better then it has in years.
I suspect (novice speaking) the compressor is stuck on? I would expect if the compressor wasn't working, I would not be getting cold air??
My 2 questions:
1) What should I check first to see why the compressor isn't cycling?
2) Does the Ionizer have anything to do with this issue, or do I even need it?
Thanks in advance for all your help. Really appreciate it.

Ken

Old 05-26-16, 11:47 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,318 Votes on 1,218 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You should be able to lower the temperature setting electronically to the point where the compressor shuts off. If the compressor didn't shut off the room would cool to a colder temperature than the electronic stat was set for.

The ionizer is just for charging a screen for dust collection.

Old 05-26-16, 07:46 PM
There is a temp probe somewhere on that unit that you may have knocked lose. Older ones had the large copper bulbs but newer ones use a tiny thermistor. That is what tells the tstat what the return air temp is so it will cycle. If you knocked it lose the poor little unit is cooling BLIND so to speak LOL

Old 05-27-16, 05:39 AM
P
Former Member,
Thanks for the tip.. It did come loose so I set in back in the clamp, and it is working fine now. Thanks to everyone for their help.

Ken

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: