Goodman central air condensor wont turn on

Old 06-19-16, 03:50 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Goodman central air condensor wont turn on

Neither cond or fan turns on outside Goodman unit, checked breaker panel,
thermostat, & condensation unit.
There is 20v going to the fan motor to the outside, looks like the cap is inside the motor, tried spinning the fan manually, wont kick in.

Old 06-19-16, 04:43 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
checked breaker panel
Please explain. Did you turn the breaker all the way off then on? Did you measure between the two poles of the breaker with a multimeter and get ~240 volts? (Note you can not test with a non contact tester.)

Old 06-19-16, 09:10 PM
C
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Check the contactor(push the contactor button and see if that starts the unit.)

Old 06-20-16, 04:29 PM
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Clocert, where would the contactor be on mine?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/es52l9rin...E-5eEWsla?dl=0

And where would the reset but be?

Old 06-20-16, 08:38 PM
C
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Mid 2/3 to the right, that old relay with the big yellow wire attached to, should be the contactor. I can't not tell from the picture where the button is, usually right on the top. The relay should have 2 small wires attached to it. use an insulated stick push the button and see if that start the unit. This only test the contactor to see if you have 24V problem or contactor problem, not reset your condenser.

Old 06-20-16, 09:33 PM
Clocert, I think mine does not have a reset button. I looked an looked on the fan motor, compressor, etc... I did not set it.

I think the relay contactor should be fine since I replaced that about 10 years ago. But I will try your suggestion just to make sure. Thank you.

Old 06-20-16, 09:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
wrdiy..... you've got your problems spread out in several different threads. We try not to hijack threads as the answers get confusing.

No one said reset button. There is a place you push the contactor in.
In the picture of your contactor..... in the red box is the place where you push the contactor in to manually operate it. Use something non conductive like a stick.

Also....in the pink circle is what looks like an extremely burned contact. Based on what I see in the picture.... I'd change the contactor too.

Name:  unspecified.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  39.6 KB

Old 06-20-16, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by PJMax
wrdiy..... you've got your problems spread out in several different threads. We try not to hijack threads as the answers get confusing.
Yeah, you are right. I started with one thread and quickly have more questions that did not meet that thread but another thread. And then I realize I will just start my own thread because I have an additional set of questions.

Clocert did not say reset button in this thread but in another thread and I was trying to consolidate those questions. Yeah, not my usual practice of HiJack. It was hot outside and I was running back and forth trying to troubleshoot the problem. I will start my own thread next time and consolidate all questions at one time.

Anyway, thanks for pointing out about the contactor and take the time to circle in the picture.

Old 06-23-16, 06:10 PM
Correction: New Capacitor, wont turn on, 120 on cap & relay, 240 on breaker box

New capacitor, read 120 on cap, 240 on outside breaker box, no action from fan or condensor

Old 06-23-16, 08:25 PM
Problem solved: contactor spring would not lock in on relay

I made a long stiff wood slat out of a shim, & pushed in the spring, & the fan & condensor started up, would stop when let go, going to order new relay.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: