Outdoor Air Conditioning Condenser Unit Not Efficiently Expelling Hot Air

Old 06-21-16, 11:25 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Outdoor Air Conditioning Condenser Unit Not Efficiently Expelling Hot Air

Hello Everyone,

I have an interesting issue I am hoping someone has some prior knowledge to help me out with. ANY light you can shed on this will be greatly appreciated.

Long story short...My system struggles and struggles to keep the indoor air at 70 degrees. Last year there was no such struggle. I live in Central PA.

What I believe it comes down to is the way the air is pushed into the house through the vents as none of them seem to be giving off a reasonable amount of air. I have performed all of the basic 'checks' including putting in a clean filter, cleaning the indoor and outdoor coils, checking the fan speed settings etc. but nothing seems to boost it along. The supply air is at 53 degrees and the return air is 72.

The only curious thing I have come across (and I will try my best to explain this) is the hot air is not furiously coming straight out the top of the outdoor condenser unit. It sort of lazily escapes sideways out the perimeter of the top. The fan blade is spinning the correct way and there is no air coming out of the side of the unit. It is sucking air in from the sides.

I had someone from a local HVAC place take a look and he "guaranteed" me that there was no issue with it since hot air was coming out. I obviously had my doubts with that, but neither he nor I have any other clue what the issue could be and I am far from an HVAC professional.

Does anyone have any ideas for me??

Any help would be appreciated before the summer sends $200+ "AC running all day" bills my way...

Old 06-21-16, 12:12 PM
S
You have a 19* split so I would say the AC is running properly. What's the outside temp when you are trying to get to 70* indoors?

Old 06-21-16, 12:50 PM
G
it was 82* yesterday and its about 85* this afternoon

Old 06-21-16, 12:52 PM
Received 79 Upvotes on 69 Posts
What size & style home is it, and what size (how many tons) is the A/C system? Do you have a lot of south-facing windows?

Old 06-21-16, 12:56 PM
G
2200sq ft two story detached home. 3.5ton carrier system. two south facing windows.

Old 06-21-16, 02:25 PM
S
You should be able to reach 70* with it only being 82* outside. I would increase the fan speed, Your delta T will drop a little bit but you would increase the air flow.

What is the make and model number on the furnace?

Last edited by skaggsje; 06-21-16 at 02:28 PM. Reason: added

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: