Unclogging condensate drain line

Old 07-02-16, 08:19 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unclogging condensate drain line

I have a Trane 4txc coil over my furnace. On the coil there are markings for P and S with PVC pipe coming out. The S PVC runs outdoors and the P appears to go into the all and connect at my kitchen sink drain. I noticed the outdoor S drain is dripping water. Does that mean the P is clogged? I am assuming P is primary and S secondary. My wife clogged the kitchen sink this morning but I plunged it and all of my drains are draining normal. Is it bad when the S pipe is dripping? And if so how do I unog the P?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-16, 08:41 PM
H
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
All of your assumptions are right.

Cut a straight section of the PVC just after the trap near the coil box and place your shop vac on the trap section and suck the trap clean, glue it back together with a coupling. The purpose of the secondary is to get your attention. It worked!

Old 07-02-16, 08:55 PM
C
You don't want to see S(Secondary)pipe dripping, that means the P(Primary) drain is plugged. You can try to suck it out (with a shopvac)from the kitchen sink end of the P pipe, or if your P pipe has an opening near the air handler, you can use an air compressor to blow it out. If these don't work, you may have to cut the pipe open to clean it. (pour some bleach into the P opening may help)

Old 07-02-16, 09:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,101 Votes on 1,021 Posts
It sound like when you plunged the sink you plunged crap into the primary condensate drain line.

Old 07-02-16, 09:46 PM
W
I can't see where the primary drain connects to the kitchen sink drain, I am just assuming because there is nothing else on that wall. So no trap that I can see. But coming out of the coil the drain line has what looks like a vent, an open PvC pipe about 4 inches vertical. Can I suck the blockage out through this?

Old 07-02-16, 10:03 PM
W
Actually, now that I look under my kitchen sink there is something draining, I thought it was a vent, but maybe it's the ax

Old 07-02-16, 10:17 PM
W
The black rubber coming from the wall T into my sink drain. For whatever reason I thought it was a vent. Is that the ac drain?

Attached Images  
Old 07-03-16, 12:54 AM
H
Drain line connection

That type connector is for a dish washer, but who knows what mickey mouse stuff is out there... Vac from the ac coil cabinet area, vaccing from the black hose may help if its the drain line to the AC. make sure the small pipe ( the white fitting ) is clear too.

Old 07-03-16, 07:00 AM
W
My dishwasher drain is clear/white tube to the left. The black rubber is the only drain I can't run down so I am assuming it is the ac. The black rubber connects to PVC at the wall, same diameter pipe as the ac drain in the attic. So do I just hook up a shop vac and it will clear?

Old 07-03-16, 07:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
You can connect a shop vac there but be prepared for a mess.

When you loosen the hose clamp and remove the black hose it is very likely that slimy water will pour out.

After that you might consider making it easier for the next time.

Installing a PVC tee near the evaporator coil would make the job much easier the next time the drain backs up.

A PVC ball valve between the Tee and the evaporator coil would make a shop vac more effective.

Old 07-03-16, 09:00 AM
W
I will try adding the valve for next time. Just used the shop vac, cleared out a good amount of water, a little sludge. Let it run for 4 minutes and I heard a few noises like something was being pulled out. Will see of the secondary keeps dripping