Need condensate line connection help!

Old 07-10-16, 11:30 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need condensate line connection help!

Firstly, hello everyone, happy to be a new member here. Long story short, barrage of issues with 25 year old ac that belong to my new house. Was plumbing in a p-trap in the condensate line going away from the AH and the copper nipple that disappears into the AH housing broke loose. I have no clue of the units internal design, so i was curious if anyone could educate me on whether that nipple could/should be freely moving? Im just a standard DIYer, gloried plumber by trade with minimal HVAC experience so go easy on me, please. TIA!

Tim

Last edited by tmonahan; 07-10-16 at 11:32 PM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 07-11-16, 05:53 AM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
It's probably just a bulkhead fitting that loosened up. The side of the air handler should be removable so the coils can be cleaned, so just pop it off and see why the fitting is loose.

Old 07-11-16, 03:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
Pretty rare problem. I've never had one of this fittings break loose. If you can't gain access to it..... post the make and model of the air handler and we'll see if we can help from this end.

Old 07-23-16, 07:00 PM
T
Sorry for the long response time, been working 72 hour weeks. Finally got my head inside that AH and bad news, internal drip pan is made of aluminum, welded to the walls of the unit and the welded nipple cracked off (no bulk head fitting). The insulation on the bottom of the unit is moldy too. Gonna attach pictures soon. Any advice would be appreciated. Model number: AH16-A00-1 serial number 92B-90017 made by heat controller

Old 07-23-16, 07:09 PM
Group Moderator
You may be able to change out the nipple with a PVC one.
Pictures would be helpful. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 07-23-16, 07:13 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
A 25 year old unit is about 10 years the expected life span.
Buying a home with unit's that old first thing I would have done is deducted the cost of a whole new system or at least had them replace it before buying.
Really need that picture.

Old 07-23-16, 10:31 PM
T
Name:  20160723_093025.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  41.3 KB
Name:  20160723_093014.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  39.2 KB
First time owning a home, let alone living somewhere with central air. I also have a baby due in two weeks. Im not sure of thr purpose of that foil or those pipes underneath the coil. It seems someone's been in there before. The nipple took the surrounding materisl with it so that pan is shot, i believe. Appreciate everyones help

Last edited by tmonahan; 07-23-16 at 11:08 PM.
Old 07-24-16, 06:09 PM
T
Quick update: So today i removed the internal drip pan, had to take off the return box, dismount the coil and pull the one side of the pan out from under the coil. The pan is a bit longer than expected, had to mangle it to get it out. It seems to be 22x30 but i cant find any diagrams to assist that. Anyone think fabricating a new pan, cutting it into two pieces so i can put through the access panel, then epoxying it back together would work? Or maybe a soft weld or something. I dont want to cut and braze the coil. Thanks

Old 07-24-16, 08:17 PM
Group Moderator
You need to be careful moving the coil around and you definitely can't cut it out yourself. You'd need to have a certified tech come in to remove the refrigerant first. Then it would have to be leak tested, evacuated and recharged.

I could not find any helpful info on your unit and I'm not familiar with it to offer much help on replacing the pan. The pan should be installed in one piece. You may have to go to a tin knocker (HVAC duct maker) and have one custom made to size.

Old 07-24-16, 10:26 PM
T
I had an estimate for just under 1k to recharge the system alone (here in N.Y. things suck). My goal was to make this old unit work. Estimated at least 8k+ for new condensor and evaporator...so Im being pretty cheap, i know. I was careful with the coil and the theory behind the two pieces was that i could leave the line set intact. Being that i already pulled the pan i may try some chamfered sheet metal with water weld along the seam and coat the whole thing to water proof. Unless another feasible alternative appears, it may be time for window ac!
thanks again

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: