Central A/C intermittently not blowing air

Old 08-12-16, 09:53 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Central A/C intermittently not blowing air

I recently noticed late at night when I am home as I work during day and night that the American standard a/c is not blowing cool air when it is triggered. It will be set for 73 degrees F and fan to auto. At 74, I can hear it click and outside fan turns on. Inside unit makes a cycling noise but compressor or fan doesn't kick on for a while. Drain is somewhat clear but I could probably auction it some. The copper condensor tube is ice cold during this time; it seems like machine is trying to come on properly. Then sometime later it *might* kick on and start blowing air as temp had reached an even higher temperature. Also the thermostat goes blank at times further frustrating the issue. I had a service contract that I canceled months back ago when I didn't have time to wait at home for them to do their deal. It's hard to demonstrate to someone as usually air conditioner works but when I'm there it hesitates; it's like when going tona Doctor for a problem, and problem is not present at that time. Any ideas on what I can do?

Thank you for all your comments. Unit is almost 10 years old as house was rebuilt but has been serviced yearly.

Old 08-12-16, 09:58 AM
Received 90 Upvotes on 79 Posts
If the thermostat display is randomly going blank, I would suggest that you try changing the batteries (assuming it uses batteries). The thermostat usually has separate relays for the compressor/condenser (outside unit) and the blower (inside unit). If the batteries are weak, it's possible for one of the relays not to be engaging.

Old 08-12-16, 10:05 AM
N
It's not the batteries; I've tried 4 different brand new batteries in past few weeks and have checked batteries with voltmeter. When thermostat goes blank, everything cuts off.

Old 08-12-16, 10:09 AM
Received 90 Upvotes on 79 Posts
If you leave the thermostat fan set to ON rather than Auto, does the blower still cut out?

Old 08-12-16, 10:27 AM
N
Fan outside turns on but no air blows inside iirc

Old 08-12-16, 10:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,148 Upvotes on 3,725 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The outside unit is a condensor and contains the compressor and the fan.
The inside unit is the air handler and contains the blower.

You've pretty much confirmed the condensor unit is ok and that you have a blower problem. It could be a defective capacitor or a defective motor.

Are you going to service it yourself ?
If yes you need to remove power from the air handler, open the wiring area door and check the capacitor for bulges. Since that cap is an inexpensive part it's recommended to just change it.
While you are in the blower cabinet you can check and make sure the blower motor turns freely.

Old 08-12-16, 11:08 AM
N
So motor or capacitor could still be faulty even if air does blow/kick km after 20-30 minutes of it being triggered? I'd like to fix my self if possible. I think the thermostat going out at times is a different issue.

Old 08-12-16, 02:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,148 Upvotes on 3,725 Posts
You can pull the power to the air handler, open the access panel(s), shoot and post a few pictures or post the model number of the air handler.

A cap for a blower motor runs around $10-15 which is why we recommend changing that first.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: