New capacitor for central air - how to wire new capacitor

Old 08-29-16, 01:01 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New capacitor for central air - how to wire new capacitor

My central air quit and after researching I concluded the capacitor is shot. Compressor motor hummed and I took a stick and got the fan going. Everything worked after that. So.. Conclusion bad capacitor. Correct I assume?

I bought a new one, only to find the connectors were different. New one has 4 prongs on each of the C herm and fan connectors. Old one has two prongs on fan, three on herm and four on c.

I wired up certain four prongs didn't change anything. Essentially just stuck wires on the correct connector, and did not worry which prong it was on. Compressor did not start, motor did not hum. Nothing.

Can someone lend assistance on how to wire this up correctly? Does it matter the number of prongs?

My old one is 45 5uf +-6%. New one is 45 5uf +-5%. Both are 440. This should work?

Old 08-29-16, 01:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
It doesn't matter how many slide-ons each terminal has as long as the proper wire ends up on one of the correct slide-ons.

Name:  cap.jpg
Views: 801
Size:  16.7 KB

So now nothing works which means the condensor is 100% dead. No sound.
Is the contactor closing ?

Old 08-29-16, 01:36 PM
D
Correct. compressor is 100% dead now. No sounds, no hum, nothing. I do not know about the contactor. If you explain how to check I will. If the number of slide ins is irrelevant, as long as I get the wires on the correct terminal, I should be good then. I must have done something incorrectly in my haste. Let me know about the contactor and meanwhile I'll go and wire up.

One last thing. If I wire up wrong.. Is it going to ruin anything? Thanks for the advice so far.

Old 08-29-16, 01:46 PM
S
Take a look at the wiring diagram it will tell what color goes on what terminal. Not likely won't damage anything if you wire it wrong.

Old 08-29-16, 04:31 PM
D
Great news. I wonder if the first time powered on the capacitor needs a few minutes to charge. Any rate, I plugged in all wires, pushed in firmly, made sure all wires were where they were originally, and some minutes later the compressor kicked on. I think just a timing issue, or maybe something not pushed in firmly. Thanks for the advice.

Old 08-29-16, 05:37 PM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
AC compressors often have a time delay relay to prevent the compressor starting up right away after a short power outage. It's likely you just didn't wait long enough after restoring power.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: