Condenser fan turning off after 4-6 minutes for no apparent reason

Old 09-06-16, 08:01 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Condenser fan turning off after 4-6 minutes for no apparent reason

I'm at a loss. This started after my fan blades broke free from the collar on the motor shaft. I replaced the blades with an identical set, and then started having issues with the motor shutting down. I replaced the 3 post capacitor, no luck. I noticed the contacts on the single pole contactor were worn, so I replaced that as well. Still no luck.

I noticed the fan was getting very hot. So my thought was that it got damaged when the fan blade assembly broke, and was experiencing thermal shutdown. I've now bought a new fan motor and capacitor, the links to what I bought are below. My original fan motor was a GE 5KCP39GGS325S.

Capacitor - https://www.grainger.com/product/2MDV4
Fan Motor - https://www.grainger.com/product/1UME7

So, what is happening is that the fan and compressor turn on, then after about 5 minutes the fan turns off, resulting in the compressor turning off due to thermal protection. Eventually, the fan turns back on, the compressor cools off enough to turn on, and the cycle starts all over again. I don't know what else to replace. Not sure if it makes a difference, but I have been using a Nest thermostat for about 2 years. Thank you very much for assistance you can provide.

David Riley
Hotter than Hell, Texas

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-16, 08:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,119 Votes on 1,039 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Dave.... the blades you used in the replacement were probably not the same exact ones. Your motor is now working harder.... too hard..... and is shutting down on overload (high heat).

You could use an amprobe (current meter) to see what the motor is drawing.

Old 09-06-16, 08:20 PM
D
I held the two blades together and felt like they matched up, but you may be right. Is there any way to gauge which blades are the proper ones?

Old 09-06-16, 08:35 PM
D
Looks like my meter only measures DC amperes (DCA). I'll have to either borrow a meter tomorrow, or break down and call the a/c guy to make sure I'm using the right blades. I have no idea how to tell whether I'm using the right blade pitch. I'm positive the diameter is correct.

Old 09-06-16, 09:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,119 Votes on 1,039 Posts
The diameter is easy to see. The pitch is not.

Old 09-07-16, 06:58 AM
D
I ordered an OEM fan blade from RepairClinic that should arrive tomorrow. The only thing keeping me from total frustration is knowing that even if I bought everything in vain, and the fan blades were the problem all along, it's still cheaper than calling out a repair company. Bless you all for helping out us stubborn DIYers.

DR