Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Air Conditioning and Cooling Systems
Reload this Page >

Using a whole house attic fan to reduce attic temperature and improve cooling

Old 04-03-17, 07:03 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I have a 30" diameter whole house attic fan mounted in a gable that we used to use for ventilating the house in mild weather. However, our allergies now make the use of this fan impossible but I'm wondering if it makes sense to use it to reduce the attic temperature and thus my cooling load.

The house was built in the 50's and has an original small louver on the opposite gable; in addition, I added two louvers when I built a screened porch so I believe that the free area for intake and exhaust are at least equal and may be a bit higher on the intake side. In addition to the louvers, the soffits are vented and there's a continuous ridge vent. Also, the attic is insulated to about R-50 with fiberglass batts, but the house walls are not insulated at all.

Theoretically running the fan during the heat of the day would seem to help but I've not seen anything written on the subject.

Thanks for your advice.

Cliff

Old 04-03-17, 07:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
You can add a thermostat to the fan for automatic operation.

It is important to have enough fresh air intake to match what the fan requires or you will be drawing cooled air thru the walls of the house.

I have a 40" gable mounted belt driven fan with a powered louver at one end of the house. I use this for drawing air thru the house when the outside air temperature allows.

I have a thru the roof fan at the other end of the attic on a thermostat. When it comes on it opens the louver and draws air across the attic. I find the combination very effective.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: