outdoor condenser fan

Old 04-21-17, 04:35 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
outdoor condenser fan

We have six condensers outside of my facility. When one of the systems went down, I went outside and noticed the fan not running. I bought and installed the start/run cap and the fan came to life and all was good. When I had the same problem with another unit, I installed the start/run cap. This time it did not work. Ended up being a fan motor. My question is next time I get called for a system not working properly, and the air handler is running fine and the compressor is running and the fan isn't. What quick tests can I do to narrow it down to either the start/run cap or the fan motor?

Old 04-21-17, 04:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,897 Upvotes on 3,494 Posts
What quick tests can I do to narrow it down to either the start/run cap or the fan motor?
Change or measure the cap. Can't get much quicker than that.

Old 04-21-17, 04:44 PM
W
Change the cap is the easy way, for sure. Just trying to save the company the money of buying an unnecessary part. HVAC isn't my strongest field. I'm always willing to learn new things. With that said, How do you measure a cap?

Old 04-21-17, 04:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,897 Upvotes on 3,494 Posts
You have six units..... having a single spare capacitor and fan motor makes good sense.

You purchase a test meter that has a capacitor check scale.
I very rarely check a cap. I temporarily connect a new one to see what happens.

Old 04-21-17, 04:59 PM
W
Thanks. A spare cap on hand sounds like the best plan. A spare motor will never happen. No way I can get corporate approval to buy a motor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: