Can't read MFD size on rusted dual run cap.

Old 06-30-17, 06:11 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can't read MFD size on rusted dual run cap.

Can you help with correct run cap size for model MSC-36E-C1 Miller/Nordyne Package Unit Air Conditioner? Have other info from the data plate if needed. Serial number: KO186-0294
Data plate also says: LSI Home 592a MFG Date '86

Only the compressor side of the run cap is being used. Condenser fan motor was replaced couple years ago with universal model. Separate run cap for the fan motor.

Any way to remove the rust without damaging the MFD specs?

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-17, 04:57 PM
Take the model number of the compressor to a Supply House; they can look up the cap info...also it may be listed somewhere on the compressor.

Old 07-02-17, 07:11 PM
P
This package unit almost 30 years old and compressor shell is entirely covered with rust. Will try supplier with package unit model/serial and if no help, call Nordyne. Thx much.

Old 07-03-17, 05:02 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 632 Votes on 584 Posts
I got some results when searching with your model number at online appliance parts suppliers. They noted that there was not an exact model number match but they seemed to agree on the mfd required.

Old 07-03-17, 05:25 AM
P
I got some results when searching with your model number at online appliance parts suppliers. They noted that there was not an exact model number match but they seemed to agree on the MFD required.
35/5 uf by chance?

I'm confident that 30, 35, or 40 (doubtful about 40), is appropriate for this model, so was thinking that 35 for the compressor would be Ok until after the 4th holiday? Universal condenser fan motor was installed two years ago, so it's running on its own run cap now.

Old 07-05-17, 11:17 AM
P
After reviewing my notes for package units that are virtually the same equipment in this park (same compressors also), I decided the compressor run cap needed would be a 35 or 40uf.

I remember seeing compressor run caps a bit under their tolerance range still running compressors stable, smooth & quiet, so I decided to install a 35uf temporarily. Had one in my inventory (limited though it may be) that tested a bit over 35uf which put it fairly close to the lower tolerance range of a 40uf run cap.

So, right or wrong, I installed the 35uf, then my supply house dug up the proper uf spec for this 29 or 30-yr. old unit's model number this morning, and I installed the spec'd 40uf run cap.

However, before installing 35uf, I also did some research and found a great article that elaborated on substituting different run caps for the originals spec'd by the manuf's. Now if I could just find again...