Liquid chiller compressor short cycling

Old 07-03-17, 01:53 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Liquid chiller compressor short cycling

Hey guys, I have a Koolance EXC-800 liquid chiller purchased a few months ago that is used for cooling liquid that flows through computer hardware but as of a few days ago the unit has has been short cycling the compressor inside( the compressor is a Hitachi bsa645cr-r1enc)and I am unsure why, the unit was shipped from the states to Australia so I'm not really keen on shipping it back for their warranty as it would almost cost as much as the unit is worth in shipping it to and from them as well as the hassles of getting a 26kg(57lb) refridgerent filled item through customs.

The refridgerent used is R134A, the units condensor fans run fine and the internal pump used for pumping the chilled liquid also runs fine, if I leave the unit off for a while and then turn it back on the compressor will start when needed but then turn off about 5-10 seconds into it's run and then start up again a few moments later but for a lesser amount of time, after a few times the compressor doesn't engage at all but I can tell it's at least tying because the LED on/off rocker at the front flickers for an instant like it has just taken on load like it would under normal operation, I haven't left the unit on for an extended period of time due to fear of damaging the compressor but the symtoms above are repeatable if the unit is left off for a while.

Thanks guys, just thought I would see if I could get any information or fault finding tips before going out and finding an AC/fridge tech to take a look at her.

Old 07-03-17, 02:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,316 Votes on 1,216 Posts
Welcome to the forums from down under.

That is a rather expensive piece of equipment. Not much technical info available on it. Without actually seeing the internals I can't really offer much in the way of repair help. The first thing that comes to mind is a low refrigerant issue.

I'd try contacting the company for tech support.

EXC-800 Portable 800W Recirculating Liquid Chiller

Old 07-03-17, 11:38 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hello PJ, Thanks for the warm welcome

I sent an email in the companies direction this morning so we will see what they say in a few days but in the meantime I took the liberty of taking a few snaps of the internals for you to have a look at if you're interested, also feel free to ask for other if you would like.

https://imgur.com/a/5RXTE

Cheers

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: