Climate control for kennel building

Old 07-12-17, 05:11 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Climate control for kennel building

I hope I am putting this in the right place. I'm having trouble trying to figure out how to cool my 12 x 24 foot kennel building. It is so hot this year. Poor dogs can't decide if it is cooler inside or outside. I have it insulated very well. I have always used a box fan in front of each run, but hoping to find something more effective, and hopefully energy efficient. I wanted to put a window unit in but can't find one to fit. The window is one of those sliding kind and when open is only about 16 1/4 inch wide. I use a space heater in winter.
Please give me advice on the best way to cool my building.
I considered a portable ac, but they don't seem too efficient from reviews.
Thank youpp

Old 07-12-17, 05:36 PM
D
Group Moderator
Received 252 Upvotes on 202 Posts
Replace/up-size to a larger window???

Old 07-12-17, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
They make unit's for sliders, but they aren't cheap or easily found. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Frigidair...sem#about-item

They may make them a bit smaller in capacity, but this one would fit your listed opening.

Being in MO, I don't think an evaporative cooler would be an option.

If this is a business, you should be able to write some off.

Replacing the window and using a cheaper common A/C might be an option depending on type of construction, replacement costs, labor, etc. Could also be a wash.

Old 07-12-17, 06:24 PM
D
Group Moderator
Received 252 Upvotes on 202 Posts
Actually, you might consider just cutting a hole in the wall of the kennel, stick an AC unit in there, squirt a little expanding foam etc around it to ensure a seal & trim around it. You might need to build a little support under the back of the AC to support it from the ground up to the bottom of the AC.

Old 07-13-17, 02:41 AM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you

I appreciate the feedback. Ill check into those options!

Old 07-13-17, 03:11 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Newer window A/Cs have side vent which a thick wall may partly block. In that case the opening needs to be at least six inches wider on each side and the open space on each side fitted with panels thin enough and positioned so as not to block the A.C exterior side vents.

Old 07-13-17, 05:31 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
One option is to install a window AC unit permanently in the wall. An opening in the wall is made just like you might rough frame for a window. Then the AC is installed into the wall and trimmed out. You won't loose your window and it's more attractive and professional looking.

Old 07-13-17, 07:50 AM
Received 14 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Have you considered a mini-split? Mitsubishi and others make them, and only require a small hole through the wall.
Andy

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: