Intermittent Package Unit Issues

Old 07-13-17, 10:54 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Intermittent Package Unit Issues

We've got an older Nordyne 3.5T package unit that quits blowing cold air during rain storms, or when it's really hot out in the mid afternoon.

The unit's air handler works fine, always, but the compressor/fan don't come on when the thermostat makes the call to the unit. I hear the stat "tick," but the compressor/fan don't come on...

Often, it takes 30 minutes to a couple of hours for the compressor/fan to kick on by itself.

The entire unit has been cleaned, and it is draining adequately.

The filter is new, coil is clean & not frozen or even wet since the handler runs for hours circulating warm air from inside the house.

Pressure has not been checked, nor have any of the electrical components since I value my life more than I like A/C...

I'm eager to learn more about A/C's, and hoping I can fix the issue myself with a little help from y'all.

Agape!

Old 07-13-17, 11:39 AM
S
Do you have a volt meter?

Old 07-13-17, 12:19 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Indeed I do have multi-meters galore!

Old 07-13-17, 12:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
You need to locate the section where the thermostat wiring enters the unit. You'll need to make voltage checks in that area to confirm operation.

A model number of the unit or a few pictures with the service cover off would be helpful.
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: