Replacing A/C drain pan in attic

Old 07-17-17, 09:17 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replacing A/C drain pan in attic

Hello,
The drain pan in my attic is rusted and needs to be replaced. Below are some pictures of it in my attic. I am looking for some advice on how to have this replaced if I were to do this myself. I assume everything above the pan will need to be lifted and was wondering how you would go about doing that. Any suggestions?

Old 07-17-17, 10:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

That is an overflow safety pan. It isn't supposed to have water in it except if the pan inside the furnace leaks or the coils freezes up. If that pan is routinely filled with water that needs to be corrected.

Some rust is not a problem unless the pan is rusted thru.

Yes... you need to lift the furnace up several inches. Requires disconnecting the gas line and the flue pipe. Not quite sure how much room you have above the furnace with that ductwork octopus.

Old 07-18-17, 07:11 PM
D
Space is pretty tight around the furnace so I am wondering if there a special tool that the pros use to lift the furnace.

Old 07-18-17, 07:20 PM
Group Moderator
I've never had to change a pan under a furnace. In my cold zone furnaces are rarely put in an attic. I've changed pans under air handlers.

I use the metal hanging strap material with the holes in it. I hang it from the rafters or collar ties.

Around the furnace isn't the problem. It's lifting straight up. You need to lift it the height of the drip pan. Do you have the clearance above the ductwork ?

Old 07-18-17, 07:38 PM
D
I have about 8 inch clearance above the ductwork to lift it up. The furnace sits on top of a piece of wood that is in the pan and looks like it needs to be lifted about an inch or two to be able to pull the rusted pan out and have it replaced.

Old 07-18-17, 08:04 PM
Group Moderator
It's actually easy getting the old one out as you can bend the sides over so that it's flatter.

I have flat bar stock here that is 2"wide x 1/4"thick x 4' long.
I would put wood down in front of and behind the furnace. Maybe a 2x4 standing up.
Then tip the furnace and slide one bar under the furnace and on top of the wood.
Then do the same for the other end.

You need to have the furnace held up in place in order to get the new pan in.

Old 07-18-17, 08:19 PM
D
Thank you! That is helpful.
I was doing a search online for replacement pans and saw that plastic pans are available and are cheaper in cost than steel pans. Do you have any thoughts on putting in a plastic pan versus a galvanized steel pan? I live in hot and humid Texas heat if heat plays a role in deciding which type to get.

Old 07-18-17, 09:42 PM
Group Moderator
Either is fine. The plastic will last longer without rusting.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: