Mistbox for your A/C......bad idea ?

Old 07-19-17, 07:03 AM
Y
Received 24 Upvotes on 23 Posts
Mistbox for your A/C......bad idea ?

Just saw this. Cooling outside air before going into your unit ? Lots of comments say a bad idea.

Anyone doing this ?

Old 07-19-17, 08:02 AM
Received 79 Upvotes on 69 Posts
I don't know anything about a mistbox. However, if it's cooling the air by adding moisture, it wouldn't be a good idea in most parts of the country. In most of the country, if you need A/C to cool the air, you usually want to dehumidify the air as well, the exception being Arizona and parts of the Southwest that are very dry. In those climates, the mistbox may have some value. In the rest of the country, you would feel less comfortable because of the increased humidity.

Old 07-19-17, 09:18 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
To me it's sorta like pushing your car every time to help get it up to speed. Either your car can do it or not. What's wrong with your AC? Why do you feel it needs help?

Your considering adding another system on top of a system that should already work. Your mister will need a source of water and power. Then there is the regular maintenance to remove mineral deposits from emitters and you might destroy your AC coils by depositing minerals on them.

If you are living in the desert Mad Max style and need to DIY an air conditioning system from scrap then I would consider it. If living in the modern world I would just make sure your AC is functioning properly.

Old 07-19-17, 09:28 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
There have been several threads on it. This was the most popular one.
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ai...sidential.html

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: