A/C - road kill... can it be saved???

Old 08-01-17, 09:45 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
A/C - road kill... can it be saved???

I need an A/C for my new workshop and I saw this on the side of the road so I said what's to lose? I brought it home and plugged it in. It is a Fedders A6Y12F2B-J window unit. I can't find a manual on the internet. When I turn it on the digital display shows "EE" Occasionally the compressor tries to start for less than a second.

Any hope???

Old 08-01-17, 09:50 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
I never bother with old widow AC units even if they look like new. Many have tiny leaks and the refrigerant leaks out. It's an easy job for someone to install fill ports and refill it but by then you're out $50-$100 for a unit you know that leaks. Then there's the electronics, motor and other parts where replacement are generally not available and if they are are so expensive it's not worth it when you can buy a new AC from a big box store for a couple hundred.

Old 08-01-17, 11:33 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
It's cheaper to leave them in front of a house or by the side of the road as recycling centers and landfills won't take them unless an EPA certified tech has removed the refrigerant. Since that usually costs.... they just get dropped by the side.

I've picked up a few but haven't found any worth repairing.

The EE code is an electronic board failure code.

Old 08-02-17, 10:22 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Well guys, thanks for the input. I guess I'll haul it out to the cub for some other sucker to snatch it up. Regards, Jim

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: