General AC theory Q

Old 08-09-17, 06:00 AM
Group Moderator
Received 172 Likes on 134 Posts
General AC theory Q

Had to have a small refrigerant leak fixed yesterday afternoon just downstream of the compressor. After the repair the house got back down to normal inside temp. My wife and I both thought the house was more comfortable and "cooler" even though the thermostat was set as usual.

My theory is that as the system was loosing refrigerant it got less efficient at dehumidifying, even though it would keep the temp okay. With a full charge again it's now at optimal operation for cooling AND dehumidifying.

Did I get this right?

Old 08-09-17, 07:12 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had heard years ago that it has something to do with BTUs which I never really understood.

Old 08-09-17, 07:44 AM
B
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Not an air conditioning guy but your thinking sounds right to me. There is probably an operational curve from too small to too large and you moved up towards the peak a bit. Funny how the human senses can out perform meters some times.

Bud

Old 08-09-17, 07:56 AM
G
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think with less refrigerant the system actually gets colder, which results in less run time--and not enough moisture condenses out to be removed. I think. As more refrig. leaks out it gets so cold it just ices up.

I really don't understand it either. This summer my car AC quit & I had a leaky hose replaced & the system recharged. Now it's so cold in the car I have to set the climate control to what SHOULD BE a ridiculously warm setting.

Old 08-09-17, 09:46 AM
C
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You are correct. Colder coil can get rid of more water (condensation) from inside of your house.

Old 08-09-17, 10:57 AM
Group Moderator
Received 172 Likes on 134 Posts
Yay, I'm now a qualified ac tech!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: