anti-allergy filter

Old 08-13-17, 09:35 AM
S
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
anti-allergy filter

I have 2 mini split systems in my house, Mitsubishi and Carrier/Toshiba. Both work great. My question is about the air filters. They are very similar: 2 large flexible plastic filters with fine screen, which are cleanable with a vacuum cleaner, and a small rectangular "anti-allergen filter" which mounts on the "inside" of each screen filter. Instructions say to replace the allergen filter every few months, but they're quite expensive and I'm wondering how essential they really are. They are located on the back of each screen filter, so it would seem that the unit would operate fine without them. Anyone have any idea? Neither my wife nor I have any allergy problems. Thanks, Steve

Old 08-13-17, 02:58 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I never heard of those filters so I googled it & it seems to be a filter that has some antioxidant properties found in green tea. IMO, you might as well drink your own green tea, take your own antioxidants & occasionally wash the filters.

Old 08-14-17, 03:52 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
Your a/c units do not require allergen filters but they need a filter of some kind.
If you do not have a filter dust will accumulate between the fins and are much more difficult to clean than just replacing a filter.

Old 08-14-17, 04:30 AM
S
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I am cleaning the regular filters, which is very easy. That's how I found the allergy filters. Steve

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: