HVAC Repair

Old 08-14-17, 12:08 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
HVAC Repair

Hello Community,

About last week I noticed my first floor space was not cool. I went to turn on the ac only to find it was already on. I went down to the basement looked at the furnace and saw that the blower/fan was not blowing. All I heard was like a hissing sound -no fan blowing. The outdoor unit's fan was turning and appears to be doing its job. I included a video that displays the small led light flashing. Any ideas on how to proceed with this repair?

Also, not sure if this relates to my current problem but back in march I had to replace a furnace limit switch. Here is the link to the part: https://www.ebay.com/p/Coleman-Conso...249/2112277707

Here is the link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d4U...ature=youtu.be

Old 08-14-17, 12:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,982 Upvotes on 3,574 Posts
The hissing sound is the refrigerant running thru the evaporator coil. You need to turn power off, remove lower service door and address the blower.

It could be a defective run capacitor, defective motor or control board.
After opening the door.... see if the motor is hot.
See if the blower spins by hand.

Don't leave the outside unit running by itself.

Old 08-14-17, 03:18 PM
J
Thanks. I checked the capacitor using a multimeter and I did not get any readings. It looks bulky and is bulging. I suppose that is a visual indication that it has gone bad. I am taking into an appliance part store tomorrow to have them test it as well, just to be sure. If this is the problem, the cost is little to replace. I'll let you know how it turned out!

Old 08-14-17, 04:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,982 Upvotes on 3,574 Posts
Hopefully the appliance store will help you. I have one near me that lost all my business because they are prima donnas. They only sell to you with an appliance model number.

You won't have an appliance model number as it's a furnace.

Old 01-01-18, 03:53 PM
If the Capacitor is bulging it is a sign that it is bad. Only a multi meter with a capacitance function will read microfrads. Usually if the run cap is bad then chances are you might have a bad blower motor as well. A quick voltage check to the motor during operation will rule out relays and control board failures. Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: