Remove access panel on carrier Evap coil pack?

Old 09-09-17, 01:27 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Remove access panel on carrier Evap coil pack?

Hi all -
i have a carrier cnpvp evap coil set that is leaking condensate out of the wrong spot. The installer applied mastic all around the access panel cover and because of that I cannot figure out how to remove it to see if I have a clogged drain or other problem. I am guessing it either slides off if I cut the mastic or remove a few hex screws. Can anyone verify that if I just cut the mastic that it will slide right off?
Thanks

Old 09-09-17, 01:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
The side where the Carrier emblem is should be easy to remove.
I have no idea why the installer would glue the service door on.

Attached Images  
Old 10-07-17, 02:55 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Silicon caulking along the bottom of my evaporator coil access door

Your post about your door being mastic sealed is interesting. Similarly, my contractor used silicon caulking along the bottom of my evaporator coil access door. It was no easy task removing it to access my evaporator pan and over flow ports for inspection. Since the door has a foam seal this seems over the top.

Old 10-07-17, 07:50 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I never cease to be amazed at what's done during installation. More than likely there was an air leak at the bottom of the cover allowing cold air out and condensation to form. Silicone was the easiest way to address the problem of the mystical water leak.

Old 10-07-17, 07:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 94 Upvotes on 87 Posts
You will have three 5/16" hex screws along the bottom of the service panel and a single 5/16" hex screw at the top right to remove to gain access to the evaporator coil.

The furnace vent pipe will be blocking the bottom center screw with vertical applications.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: