Typhoon Chiller Air Cooler

Old 09-10-17, 07:43 PM
T
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Typhoon Chiller Air Cooler

Our church has a Typhoon chiller air cooler. Not a swamp cooler. it works well to cool an auditorium. We just recently learned that it uses 50 - 60 gallons of water per hour that it runs. This unit is about 60 years old. That amount of water consumption seems overly excessive even for 60 years ago. Now I have not looked into the unit but I wonder if there is a float and valve assembly that could be defective to shut off water flow to the chiller. Does anyone know about such units? Does new water have to be flowing constantly when the unit is running in order to chill? Or should water recirculate once a reservoir is full? The cost to convert to refrigeration is more than we can afford but we really cant afford to essentially waste 100 or so gallons of water every Sunday either not to mention the poor citizenship of waste in the California desert.
Anyone we call to check this out tells us it is obsolete (Which I suppose is true) and wants to sell us a new refrigeration unit.

Old 09-10-17, 08:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,330 Votes on 1,229 Posts
Technically a "chiller" is a refrigeration device. Instead of using air to cool the condensor it would use water. The water would normally be recirculated thru an outside cooling tower. A cooling tower is like a small waterfall where the water can release its heat into the air.

You may have a chiller that uses fresh water to cool it and then just dumps the water to a drain. If this is the case then it would be very wasteful. This sounds like what you have.

Can you post some pics of the unit ?
Follow the attach instructions in the red box. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 09-10-17, 08:53 PM
T
Pete,
It will take a while to get some pictures. It just seems to me that even 60 years ago there would have been a provision for recirculation. Thanks for the clarification on teminology.

Old 09-10-17, 08:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,330 Votes on 1,229 Posts
Many times the chiller is in an area where it's hard to get lines to a cooling tower. It may be something that could be added to your system but it wouldn't be an inexpensive upgrade.

Old 09-15-17, 12:11 PM
T
Haven't forgotten just not able to get e pictures. For the short term we are enjoying cooler weather and the pressure is off temporarily. Word is but I have not verified the, that e city outlawed the kind of chiller we have years ago.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: