Weird water problem, out of season?

Old 10-17-17, 01:59 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Weird water problem, out of season?

This is the weirdest thing. We're in Denver and haven't used the central air in a month. Yet there's water in the HVAC cabinet.

This is a IRC modular house. The central air was put in under the furnace, using the same duct:

To the left of this cabinet, on the other side of a wall, is the washer/dryer and a whole house humidifier built into the wall, but the washer hose is tied in place down the drain tube, as is the humidifier drain tube ( it's an Aprilaire 360 ) and there's no water around there, or in the wall area there. All the water is under this black box thing in the AC cabinet, and some is in a puddle below here, in the crawl space, but I had a handyman look down there today and he cant see where the water is coming from. But if we lift that black box up a little and let go, it splats water from out under it!

So we're not getting anywhere with this, and it smells moldy and wet in the HVAC cabinet.

Any idea what that black box thing is, or how this could possibly be happening?

Old 10-17-17, 02:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Watch and listen to the washer drain. When washer drains it may be backing up the drain pipe and overflow. You can hear the water coming up the pipe when it does this. Older washers will drain 20+ gallons of water each fill cycle. Look for leaking washer supply bibs for leaking seal under knobs.

Old 10-17-17, 02:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
That black box is the condensate box. It pumps the A/C condensate up to a drain. I see the safety switch in the condensate connected which means the pump didn't overflow. Water could be there if it leaked out of the internal A/C drip pan but after a month I'd expect that water to be dried up. You need to check the area to see if something is currently leaking.

Old 10-17-17, 03:29 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pugsl
Watch and listen to the washer drain. When washer drains it may be backing up the drain pipe and overflow. You can hear the water coming up the pipe when it does this. Older washers will drain 20+ gallons of water each fill cycle. Look for leaking washer supply bibs for leaking seal under knobs.
I just got my first new washer & dryer in 34 years, this spring, so they're not old.

Old 10-17-17, 03:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Double check items like the hot and cold water fill line hose connections.
Pugsi was referring to a possible slow drain allowing the water to fill the standpipe and overflow.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: