Seek HVAC quiet duct liner and sound proof air filter

Old 11-12-17, 10:30 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Seek HVAC quiet duct liner and sound proof air filter

I have the Trane gas furnace & AC downflow unit, model TDD with noisy squirrel cage blower, in downstairs garage.
I seek to reduce the blower noise at the air intake in upstairs hallway next to our bedrooms.

I am seeking acoustic duct liners with adhesive back inside the intake duct?

Also, is there air filter with acoustic sound proof functions, to replace current plain air filter, at the blower intake? The aluminum mesh filter size is two side by side 12 7/8 x 20 3/4 x 1/4 inches.

Thank you.

Last edited by jgy2001; 11-12-17 at 11:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-17, 10:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
The internal insulation commonly used is applied in the manner but it would be difficult to install after the duct has been installed.
It is installed with spray adhesive and duct pins.

Internal insulation would reduce the duct size. This could reduce airflow as well.

Have you verified that a canvas connection is in use at the furnace?

Old 11-12-17, 12:03 PM
J

The air intake return behind the 16"x16" grill is straight down from upstairs 17" height at 12" in diameter. There is a connection Canvas 20" deep x 2' wide x 2' height before the electronics air filter, then, the AC/furnace unit.

Another air return intake from downstair to the canvas. But not where we sleep.

Last edited by jgy2001; 11-12-17 at 01:02 PM. Reason: image
Old 11-12-17, 12:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,119 Votes on 1,039 Posts
What are we looking at.... a return in the floor ??

Old 11-18-17, 08:27 AM
J
The air intake return behind the 16"x16" grill is straight down from upstairs 17" height at 12" in diameter. There is a connection Canvas 20" deep x 2' wide x 2' height before the electronics air filter, then, the AC/furnace unit.

Another air return intake from downstair to the canvas. But not where we sleep.

Old 11-19-17, 05:14 AM
Super Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 35 Posts
There are a few reasons for noise in a forced air system.

One is duct size and that would be noise created from the speed of the air through the duct and grills.
Generally bigger ductwork is quieter but this does not appear to be your problem.
The other cause of noise is transmission of noise from the fan compartment which appears to be the problem you have.
Sound dampening material can help but duct design is more important.
No amount of added material added to duct inside surfaces can overcome noise when the duct is so short.
In order for dampening material to work it needs distance to do so which means the fan being further away from your living area.
Moving your furnace my not be easy to do but one thing you could check is the blower assembly.
I believe you have a direct drive blower and you can check to make sure the fan is not out of balance causing excess noise.
Another possibility is that the fan motor was at one time replaced and the 1050 rpm motor that is suppose to be installed was replaced with a higher rpm motor........some are available in 1725 rpm which would be way too fast.
Another possibility is too fast a fan speed tap has been selected for your system.
You need to be careful if changing fan speed because too slow can cause the furnace to overheat.

Old 11-19-17, 05:32 PM
J
thank you for your reply.
Yes, you are right, most of the noise comes from the blower motor. Is there any sound absorbing material I can put at the air intake and the grill to reduce the noise. I do not want to reduce too much air going into the blower.
Actually, in my furnace, this is the 3rd squirrel cage blower assembly. The first two are AC, and this current one is variable speed DC (I paid this around $450 last month). I watch the tech adjust and select and set the speed he found to work. (I do not know the exact rpm speed). This new motor is still noisey.

Old 11-19-17, 10:45 PM
Received 377 Votes on 352 Posts
As Huston stated there is duct insulation that can be installed inside ducts/plenums.

I added material to my GEO thermal ducts on either side of the unit and it made a huge improvement.

But you have to be able to get to the duct. Material is 1/2" thick, push pins are attached to inside of duct then the insulation is pushed on.

Old 11-26-17, 09:43 AM
J
Thank you

Please tell me what is the name of the duct lining material you are using?
Can I buy this online, Homedepot, Lowes, Amazon, Walmart?