When to replace the Freon based Central AC system

Old 11-16-17, 01:15 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
When to replace the Freon based Central AC system

I am convinced it will not make financial sense to find and repair freon leak in my current AC system. If I'm going to replace the whole AC system including outside condenser and fan, and inside evap coil, then it will be the new Puron based system. I've gotten three quotes all in similar price range. The contractors recommend that I replace the AC system as soon as possible because come January 2018, the price will go up 7 to 8 percent due to some sort of bidding in the market. I am in DC metropolitan area. I prefer to get the work done during late Spring 2018 before Summer 2018 so that way if something doesn't go right with the replacement, I'll know as soon as possible, and it will be easier to ask the contractor to come back for any warranty work. If 5 to 6 months pass, it will be more difficult to get the contractor to honor the warranty even if they advertise 5 year parts warranty. However, contractors want me to get the work done ASAP to avoid the price hike when new year arrives. What is your opinion? Your opinions are appreciated.

Old 11-16-17, 01:58 PM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Try to confirm or deny the so called "bidding" & "hike" before you jump. You're right about the warranty. Why let the warranty be used during months that you won't use the AC?

Old 11-16-17, 02:53 PM
B
I'm not sure what is this bidding in the market, talked about by a contractors, that will cause price to hike 7 to 8% come January 2008 here in DC metro area. Their general attitude seem to be the price of AC parts will simply keep increasing with time. My suspicion is, isn't the AC parts price based on supply and demand? I suspect during the fall and spring the demand will be less so price should be lower, but the contractors say when the demand is low, the manufacturers decrease the supply by decreasing the manufacturing.

Old 11-16-17, 03:12 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Go GEO thermal and really start seeing the savings as I have for the past 10 years!

Old 11-16-17, 03:40 PM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Old 11-17-17, 12:50 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
This is all BS IMO Im 3 hours from you and I know of no increase. The manufactures will have there normal few dollars here are there but nothing big. Puron is a name brand from Carrier. Its 410A. Thats what you want. all manufactures will have 410A. I bet they are slow and they are trying to get the work.

Old 03-12-18, 06:15 PM
B
Is GeoThermal cental AC system?

Old 03-12-18, 06:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
A standard split A/C uses an air cooled condensor to extract heat from the refrigerant. A geo thermal system uses ground water to cool the condensor. Although this type of system is highly desirable and very high efficiency.... it's more complicated and much more expensive in equipment and installation costs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: