How to perfectly clean the coil for an indoor AC?

Old 01-04-18, 07:10 PM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to perfectly clean the coil for an indoor AC?

I have a indoor AC Goodman AW24-05C. I used an air conditioning coil foaming cleaner, I sprayed it, waited 10 minutes, then used a vacuum. There is still some dirt especially on top, as shown in the first picture.
To clean it perfectly, do I need to buy a special comb? If yes, is there one you recommend?
Except that, I noticed some water at the bottom of the AC unit. I figured it out, I think. Please look at the second and third picture. The bigger hole on the left is leeting water going on the floor. Before, there was a water heater below the AC unit, not anymore. How can I plug this hole?

Attached Images    

Last edited by miamiparis; 01-04-18 at 07:34 PM.
Old 01-04-18, 07:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Your hosting site is not allowed here at DIY.
Try posting the pictures directly to the board. How-to-insert-pictures

Normally you spray the coil with cleaner and then rinse it. No brush used.

Old 01-04-18, 07:36 PM
M
Thanks, I finally posted the pictures. Now that you see the picture, do you think I should spray water? I already sprayed the foam cleaner a few hours before.

Old 01-04-18, 07:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
That coil looks to be loaded with dust. Once wet it won't come out easily. I would hit again with coil cleaner and wash the coil in the opposite direction of the airflow. You don't want to push the dirty further into the coil.

With an A/C air handler there are two drain lines. The primary drain and the secondary (overflow) drain. The secondary drain is slightly higher in the unit so that if the primary gets plugged..... the water comes out the secondary. Normally no water comes out of the secondary.

Old 01-05-18, 07:01 AM
M
The problem is that I have no access to the back of the coil. So if I spray water in front of the coil, it should push the dirt further into the coil.
Also, it's winter, so I don't use the AC. IS it OK to spray water while I won't run the AC afterwards?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: