Need advice on these portable air conditioner models

Old 06-18-18, 08:04 PM
C
Received 2 Upvotes on 1 Post
Need advice on these portable air conditioner models

I will be buying a portable air conditioner early next month. Done research, and whittled the choices down to these:
1. Amana AMAP121AD
2. Black & Decker BPACT14WT
3. Edgestar AP14003W
4. Keystone KSTAP14CL
5. Koldfront PAC1402W
All the above models seem to be about equal, as far as I can tell, so would like to hear the opinions of others...good or bad. I'm in a dinky studio apartment with two tiny windows (biggest is 22"x36"). I don't know the square footage. Bedroom is 86" tall x 96" x 111". Bath is around 90" tall x 76" x 84". Kitchen is around 96" tall x 200" x 80". Considering how small this studio is, it shouldn't require a lot of BTUs to cool, but I've focused on overkill (better too much than not enough). The noise level is probably the most important factor, but I don't see much difference between the five models. Anyway, please let me know which of these you would pick, and why. Such feedback will help me decide which model to purchase.

Old 06-19-18, 04:23 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
If they do not use two tubes they will be extra expensive to operate and will not cool well. A one tube, the most common and cheapest, exhausts your already cooled inside air outside to cool the condenser and draws hot air into the room. A two tube model instead use outside air to cool the condenser coil thus your chilled air stays in the room.

Give us links instead of model numbers so we don't have to search for your choices.

Old 06-19-18, 04:33 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
I didn't bother to look up the units you listed. As Ray2047 mentioned the most important thing is to get a two hose model. Most, and especially the lower priced units, are single hose.

A single hose portable AC has a fan blowing air outside. This means that air must somehow leak into the room to replace what the AC is pumping outside. So, cracks around the window, gap under the door, through electrical outlets warm unconditioned air is being sucked into the room. This makes single hose units very expensive to operate and they are poor at cooling and drying out the room. Yes, you will feel lots of cool air blowing from the unit but all over the room hot unconditioned air is being sucked in diluting all that nice cold air you just paid to make.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: