Central AC compressor/fan off

Old 07-30-18, 09:22 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Central AC compressor/fan off

I have a goodman central ac unit. Two weeks ago the outside condenser compressor fan quit working but would start if you'd spin it with a stick. Replaced it with a fan from Amazon and started working. Had noticed the compressor psi had sounded a bit high n wasn't cool air but was cooling once again after fan replacement. Today woke up and neither the fan or compressor outside is working. Both off but the inside unit blows hot air. What causes both not to come on I was told maybe the flux capacitor. Hate to call an expensive repair man. Would think if the fan had stopped working would have heard the high pressure line whistle overnight. Thanks for any input

Old 07-30-18, 11:17 AM
Received 79 Upvotes on 69 Posts
Usually, when the fan doesn't start, but will run if pushed, the capacitor is bad. Many systems use a dual capacitor, where one side is the fan capacitor and the other side is the compressor capacitor. If you didn't replace the capacitor or only replaced the fan side, it's possible that the compressor side of the capacitor is bad.

When the thermostat calls for cooling, does the contactor engage (pull down)? If not, then you need to determine why the contactor isn't getting the control voltage (24VAC) which comes from the thermostat.

Old 08-01-18, 09:04 AM
J
Thanks it was the start capacitor

Old 08-01-18, 09:18 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Just as an aside...... every motor requires a certain capacitance to operate properly. You need to make sure the capacitor in your unit matches what the new fan motor requires. It should be listed on the side of the motor.

Old 08-06-18, 01:00 AM
J
I replaced it with the same values of the old capacitor. It should be fine correct? I also had replaced the fan but with the same part number of the original fan.

Old 08-06-18, 09:52 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Yes....that should be correct.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: