How do I clean inside of evaporator coil?

Old 11-04-18, 09:43 AM
B
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
How do I clean inside of evaporator coil?

My split unit heating and A/C system was replaced in my house in March 2017. Yesterday, I cleaned the outside of the evaporator A-Coil at the air handler unit in the attic. It is Carrier model# FB4CNP042.

I attached a photo. The inside of the coil is not accessible. I can't remove the cover plate with all the plumbing in front. And I wouldn't want to mess with any mounting screws inside the cabinet.

Would I simply need to disconnect the duct at the right end of the cabinet?

Name:  ah.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  56.8 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 11-04-18 at 10:14 AM. Reason: labeled picture
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-18, 10:16 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
How are you cleaning it and is it even dirty if it's only a year old ?
I marked the airflow. That means it's the inside of the coil is where it will be dirty.

Old 11-04-18, 01:21 PM
B
The manufacturer label said to use a mild detergent to clean the evaporator coil. I used Simple Green to clean the outer coil. Then I rinsed with a pump sprayer and ran the fan for a while to drain the water out the primary drain.

Yeah, I figured the inside of the coil is the most critical area to clean because of the air flow direction. The system is 19 months old now. So I might as well clean the inside of the coil too if I can get to it without too much trouble

There is a narrow metal strip that can be removed at the right end of the cabinet. Don't know what it's for. You can see it in the photo. I wonder if I can use some type of L-shaped spray wand in that narrow opening.

Old 11-04-18, 04:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
Coil cleaning is not terribly important if you keep up with changing the air filter(s).

My coil in my gas furnace has never been cleaned. It's over 25 years old. My evap coil was installed in a box and stuffed between the furnace and the ductwork. There is no access to it without removing everything. My airflow is still normal as it always has been.

Old 11-04-18, 09:06 PM
B
Yeah, I hear you can often go a long time without cleaning the indoor unit coil. And I'm good about changing the filters too. I took another look at the cabinet in the attic.

That removable metal strip I was telling you about, opens up a 2.5 inch gap. I like to finish what I started. So I can probably rig up an elbow attachment for my pump sprayer wand and be done with it for awhile.

Old 11-24-18, 05:03 PM
B
I was able to improvise an extension for my pump sprayer. See the attached photo. I cut the pump sprayer wand in two. Then I attached 5/16 Inch flex tubing between the two sections to give it a bend.

That narrow slot opening in the cabinet and the bend in the flex tubing, enabled me to put my hand in the opening to point the nozzle in any direction I needed. So I was able to saturate every inch of the inside A-Coil.

I could have removed the flexible ductwork from the inlet side of the cabinet. But this method is easier and it worked very well. Thank again

Attached Images  

Last edited by bluesbreaker; 11-24-18 at 06:04 PM.