Trane thermostat ComfortLink II ▬Err 105

Old 11-30-18, 10:42 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Trane thermostat ComfortLink II ▬Err 105

These new fangled machines....

We spent a bunch of money getting what we believed was a great, new, system.
A few PCB boards and fan motor later, we have yet another Trane (induced) Fault

Our glass thermostat Trane Comfort Link II is blinking an error code ERR 105

The system seemed to be working ok but it is disturbing that this thing is hounding us to call yet another expensive contractor to tell us how much it is going to cost this time...

Of course, like John Deere, you are not allowed to see a service manual and google turns up no clue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated .

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-18, 01:08 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,185 Votes on 1,097 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Not much information here...........
Gas furnace and A/C ?
Heat pump with backup heat ?

That error code is a problem in the heating system.
Trane fault code list

Old 12-01-18, 11:18 AM
F
Thank you Pjmax, that right there is a wealth of information.

Sorry, We are in Florida so it is a split A/C system. I am not sure if it is a heat pump or just A/C with heat strips. I know it has a variable speed air handler fan and a two speed or stage compressor.

I am trying to get SHMBO to tell me the info on model and year. We had a cold snap and she was unhappy havine to shiver without me... lol

Would the components to check be in the attic at airhandler or does the signal go out to the condensor first and then to the airhandler?

Is there a factory repair manual available for my unit?

Old 12-01-18, 11:31 AM
F
It is a Trane XL19 system.

She thinks it is a 3 ton condenser unit with a 2.5 ton variable speed in the attic.
I'll get more information later this afternoon.

Thank you to anybody who can help us.

I see that I signed up in 2015 yet this is my first post. I probably found this place back then but it was shortly after that I was on layoff and have been clawing at the ground just trying to keep our head above water.

Looking around, I see this is a great source on information and I know how to do a lot of all kinds of stuff, so I am confident I can repay the community for the assistance I gain, at least seven fold.
I spend time on automotive and aviation forums.

Thanks!

Old 12-01-18, 12:14 PM
Group Moderator
We can usually find online manuals but it requires the full model numbers of the outside condenser and the inside air handler.

Old 12-01-18, 03:22 PM
F
A/H 2TEE3C31A1000A

COND 2TTZ9036C1000A

Perhaps the condenser is 2TT 2 9036C 1000AA

I am reading a picture of the paperwork as filled by a technician's (hand writting)
(but she sent three copies of different times it was written so asides from the (Z or S) I'm confident they should be correct.

I see where the technician wrote a letter "S" elsewhere so I am pretty sure it is "Z"

I am a 609 certified automotive AC technician, an aircraft mechanic, and I am a tinker when it come to electronics.

If I have applicable data and maybe (a needed software and interface wire)
I can near fix anything as long as I can get the parts...
Thank you again Pjmax.

I recently rebuilt the transmission in my mom's car. Now that was a job.

Last edited by fabricgator; 12-01-18 at 03:23 PM. Reason: missing a comma...
Old 12-02-18, 06:50 AM
F
Is there someplace I should search for the service manual?
I am hoping to get this fixed this weekend before having to return to work, or at least get an idea of what it is going to take.

I looks like there is a fault in the heating strip controls.
A cold snap is coming.

Old 12-02-18, 05:25 PM
F
So thank you for Pjmax it reads that the heater relay or interlock relay or both are open when supposed to be closed or closed when supposed to be open...

Can anyone help me identify these components and their location?
Any troubleshooting tips?

Likely to be a relay or the circuitry that controls them?

SWMBO is always spending money for the annual service so it is trouble free operation, I'd be more inclined to leave it alone and just open it myself and clean every few years.

Old 12-02-18, 06:16 PM
Group Moderator
I can't find the detailed information you need on the condenser.
The data communications is proprietary so it's not likely you'll be able to interface with that unit.

I'm not Trane authorized so I can't even get it.

Old 12-03-18, 07:06 AM
F
I understand and thank you for looking. That proprietary thing is what will stop me from buying (actually leasing) a Trane unit. If I am not allowed to fix my own equipment, I didn't actually buy it, now did I ? ....

What is the interlock? Is that like a service door safety switch that de-energizes the heat strips so the technician does not get a shock?

Any information on what these components might look like or a schematic would be helpful.

By any chance, did you find the air handler information? I believe that my open/closed relay and the controls are going to be in the air handler.

Old 12-06-18, 05:09 PM
F
TRANE derailed....

What a mess!

I am not allowed to work on my own equipment, BUT...

... I have to hire some licensed contractor's pot smoking monkeys to do a half fast job???

I opened up the air handler unit today, half expecting to find a missing service access door cover screw and some sort of safety switch that was not being depressed because Honey Dearest just has to have the unit serviced by a professional every year to the tune of about a Benjamin, a Grant, and probably a few Hamilton's and I bet she even tosses a tip...(TIPS: To Insure Proper Service)

She really is a heck of a great gal... Honest, intelligent , hard working, and just real nice. I am really lucky, I don't deserve her.

Anyway, that machine for the price we paid really isn't put together like an airplane.

I opened everything I could, banged on anything that looked like a relay on the PBC, I checked fuses, found the heat strip contactor, it looked ok, but I banged it with my side cutter (just because). I saw the heat strip (and what I would assume is a thermal switch in case the heat strips were cooking away without adequate airflow) banged on that thing too.

On the PCB was what looks like an *ICBM launch authentication key. By now you should know I just had to mess with that so I removed it, banged on it with my linesman's and put it back in.

I slapped it all back together, performed all the gymnastics over the parallel beams in reverse order of what it took to get over there, and made my way out of the attic. I still had the red light and Err 105 on the thermostatic computerized control console. Cycled the breaker and viola!
I cranked the heat up to 78 (because ambient temp in the house was 76) and I could smell stinky heat strip.... Yea.

When we were shopping, Trane was awfully tempting because of the 16.5 SEER rating and all the savings in utility bills the salesman promised... BUT, we most likely spent all those savings and more than that in electronic parts (since, almost to the day after the warranty) AND, they, TRANE, are refusing to allow me access to repair data manuals so I can fix my own stuff? I'll never make that same mistake again!
So if you are a DIY guy, and likely if you are reading this you are, buy some other brand that is not as electronically controlled, if there still is such a thing.
TRANE SUX!
But for now, we are stuck.

*ICBM

Old 12-22-18, 02:24 PM
F
TRANE off the rails... Wreck!

So the ERR_105 came back this week while I was out of town.
Honey boo boo called the local contractor who said another board is shot (this time in the air handler) to the tune of $1100.00

So, where is all the savings ??? Granted my electrical bill has been lower, but we have spent more than three times the savings in new parts and labor.

I am very unhappy with TRANE and would recommend anyone who is shopping for a new unit to avoid TRANE / American Standard

AND

When you contract for your machinery, get the factory service manual as part of the deal. No repair guide - no money

I think we are going to junk the TRANE and DIY install a new system off eBay, Amazon, or some other company out of Miami.

Old 12-22-18, 03:20 PM
Group Moderator
The board should have been under warranty but I'm guessing the labor was not.