Suggestions for improving upstairs air flow?

Old 02-04-19, 09:45 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Suggestions for improving upstairs air flow?

I have central HVAC located in the basement and the units are only a few years old, but it doesn't get much air flow to the second story of the house. The units were uninstalled by the previous owner, so it wasn't an option to shop and have something more suitable installed. I get great heat and AC on the first floor, but not much upstairs.
​​​​​​
Are there any recommended ways to increase the airflow to the upstairs? I first considered simply closing off the downstairs vents, but I read in several places doing that could cause too much back pressure and hurt the system. I looked at insulating the ducting in the basement to keep the air that does make it up there at a more effective temp. Not much ducting is exposed anyway, and I'm concerned about condensation getting trapped (I live in Wisconsin, so fairly humid in the summer).

Is there a booster fan or something that could be used to get the air pushed up there?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-19, 09:52 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Is it too hot up there in the summer compared to the first floor?

How many vents and returns are on the second floor?

Old 02-04-19, 10:05 AM
M
Yes, it's fairly hot in the summer (winter isn't as bad, but a little cool). There's two small bedrooms upstairs with one vent and return each, and the doors stay open. There's also a half bath with no vent or return. There's also a fair bit of blown insulation in the attic already.

The reason I was asking about air flow is because you can barely feel anything coming from either vent when the unit is running, but tons of air from the first floor vents.

Old 02-04-19, 12:51 PM
Received 392 Votes on 366 Posts
Very typ, trying to push that heavy cold air up two stories.

You can close off lower vents, that will force more air upstairs, will not hurt the blower.

You can check to see if you have a multi speed blower and hopefully it's not at the highest speed!

Old 02-04-19, 01:06 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I typically close a handful of vents downstairs in the summer and upstairs in the winter to balance the airflow. Adding a vent in that bathroom would probably help, bigger question is how difficult that would be.

Old 02-04-19, 01:25 PM
M
Marq1, I think it is set for the highest blower speed when calling for heat or AC. I know when it's fan only, I'm limited to 35% and pretty sure I saw in one of the manuals that it can't be changed.

Stickshift, the half bath only has room for the toilet and a small sink. Not really worth the effort even if it were an easy job. Lol.

I'll give closing off the vents a try.