Through the Wall AC for Window install

Old 04-08-19, 12:53 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Through the Wall AC for Window install

Hi -
I am fairly new to all of this so I apologize for the basic questions. Hoping this forum can help.

I have a through the wall Air Conditioner and wondering if it's ok for me to use this unit for a window? If so, what do I need to install it?

Also, on the left side of the unit is a yellow/green cord connected to one of the screws. (shown on photo) What is this wire for? Grounding? Thermostat?

The model is Kenmore Elite 253.77135

Attached are photos.

Attached Images     
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-19, 03:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,184 Votes on 1,096 Posts
A window unit comes with brackets as well as accordions to seal the window off.
An in-wall type unit comes with none of that. You'll have to make your own brackets and seals.

Old 04-08-19, 04:21 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 682 Votes on 629 Posts
I have gone in the opposite direction many times, installing a window unit in a wall. The units operate fine as they don't care about wall or window. It's all about the what's needed for mounting. In your case you can attach pieces of angle or channel to the top and bottom as needed to mount in your window. Then the extra space on the sides can be filled with rigid foam insulation, plywood or something similar.

Old 04-09-19, 04:58 AM
Super Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 36 Posts
There are a few differences between a wall and window unit and going from wall to widow has less to think about.
A wall unit has the air intake and exhaust at the back of the unit allowing it to be installed in a wall of any thickness.
A widow unit has the condenser air inake on the side requiring you install it only in a wall with a depth that doesnt block them or you need to do some creative carpentry to allow airflow.
The other difference is that with a wall unit you can get a sleeve that is permantly installed allowing easy removal for servicing.

Also, as mentioned window units have a kit to seal the sides when a window is closed and you can also get a vertically oriented window unit for horizontal slider windows.
When placing a wall unit in a widow you need to be carefull you don't push it too far into the window space as they do not have a lip on the bottom to prevent you from doing so.

Old 04-09-19, 09:41 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I contacted Sears (the manufacture) and they said not to install it on the window. They said it's not intended for the window and if it gets wet, you may get electrocuted. Which I don't really understand, because don't through the wall units sit outside too?

Does anyone know what the green/yellow cord is for?

Old 04-09-19, 10:07 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 682 Votes on 629 Posts
That is the standard "cover your rear" statement. The green/yellow wire is for a ground.

Old 04-09-19, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 36 Posts
don't through the wall units sit outside too
Not so much.
Through the wall units are either within a wall which reduces rain water contact or in a separate sleeve which also covers much of the unit., yes, you can most certainly mount your wall unit in a window.
Whether it makes sense to do so I would say no because you need to come up with a safe mounting system so it doesn't slide out of the space and way to seal the remaining opening.

IOW you can mont it in a window but you would need some skills to be able to fabricate the mounting and blocking panels.