Ideas to protect A/C condenser from hail, leaves?

Old 05-28-19, 12:31 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Ideas to protect A/C condenser from hail, leaves?

I have a new American Standard outdoor central A/C condenser unit. The top is rectangular, measuring 34" x 37.5". Looking for ideas to protect the top from hail in the spring/summer and leaves in the fall. Either DIY or manufactured is okay. Having trouble finding something manufactured that isn't made for smaller square units, and nothing that might lessen damage from hail. Thanks in advance.

Old 05-28-19, 12:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The unit should be sufficiently protected from the elements as manufactured.
Anything covering it that impeded airflow would not be good.

Old 05-28-19, 12:49 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Installer told me to get a top cover for the fall to protect against leaves, but I can't find one (mesh or any other material) that will fit the top dimensions of this unit. The unit would be turned off in the fall, so no issue with airflow.

With regard to hail I've read that it can damage the inside of the unit. Curious to know if anyone has had this happen with newer condenser models. I work from home, so in theory could turn off the unit and cover it.

Old 05-28-19, 01:58 PM
Received 19 Upvotes on 18 Posts
I've seen some snow saucers used as covers, just bungee cord them on. All your favorite superheros are available. Note, the diameter is 26".
Name:  Batman.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  18.8 KB

Old 05-28-19, 05:00 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
What ever you do for the winter just dont wrap in plastic.

You can cut a piece of plywood to the same general size/shape and place that on top to keep coils clean but still allow air flow!

Astuff voted this post useful.
Old 05-29-19, 02:29 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I've never seen anything but the exterior housing damaged from hail. Cleaning the unit every yr should take care of any leaves/debris.

If I was determined to make a cover to use during the off season, I'd just use plywood larger than the top with 1x2s along the perimeter to help hold it in place.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: