Replacing old Kenmore AC Unit

Old 07-02-19, 09:12 AM
K
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Replacing old Kenmore AC Unit

This isnt my actual link but this is the air conditioner I am replacing Air Conditioner.

It looks like it is 18000 btu and has the side vents like it might be a window unit?! Mine is through the wall currently and came with my home. I don't have air in my house, hence such a large unit. So this unit has been cooling my entire downstairs. It does a good job, but the knob is broken off of it and the only way to turn it on is unplugging and plugging it in. Just that alone isn't very safe for my kids with such a big outlet. And its not very energy efficient and its loud. So I want to replace it. I can't seem to find any 18000 btu specific through the wall units. Could I use a window unit if the side vents clear the hole in the wall? I only have Vinyl siding, so the wall isn't very thick. No brick or cinder block to extend the wall.

If not, I was looking at these two units.

Unit 1

And

Unit 2

These were the closest ones to fit my current hole in the wall but are only 14000 btu. Would that be enough to cool my downstairs? I have a pretty large downstairs, Living room, Dining room, kitchen, foyer, hall way with laundry room and bathroom...

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-19, 09:33 AM
A
Received 46 Votes on 41 Posts
18,000 BTU with heating and cooling - https://www.alpinehomeair.com/viewpr...ctID=453070645

Physical size and volts/cord type are also a factor.

Give them a call as they obviously want to be helpful and make a sale.

Old 07-02-19, 01:43 PM
K
That looks like it would fit perfect, would just have to build up the height.. Thanks.

Old 07-02-19, 01:52 PM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Just throwing it out there. Fill the hole and replace with a mini-split unit. That's what we did in all of the upstairs bedrooms in our 100 year old house. One room had a hole in the wall. The other two had units hanging in the windows. Terrible leakage. Consider that mini-splits heat AND cool.

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 07-02-19, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 125 Votes on 97 Posts
I bought a Frigidaire 18,000 from Home Depot last year and altho it said for window, the installation instructions had instructions for window or wall. Altho they no longer have that model, they have a newer model. May be the same deal. It's a lot cheaper than the one linked above.
Just a suggestion you might want to check out.

Old 07-03-19, 08:35 AM
K
I bought a Frigidaire 18,000 from Home Depot last year and altho it said for window, the installation instructions had instructions for window or wall. Altho they no longer have that model, they have a newer model. May be the same deal. It's a lot cheaper than the one linked above.
Just a suggestion you might want to check out.
See, thats what I seem to be finding out. The only difference its seems for the window units is the vents on the side. So unless your wall is thicker, with like brick or cinder block or something. As long as you don't block the vents you should be fine? It seems the "through the wall" conditioners are vented just out the back for those certain applications.

I guess I found this article that explains the difference and it confirms its mostly the venting. Through the wall vs window

Old 07-03-19, 09:37 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,175 Votes on 1,089 Posts
In addition to the side vents..... a wall mount A/C would come with a sleeve that gets installed first.
Then if service is needed.... the unit just slides out of the sleeve.

With a window unit..... you would need to take the entire unit out of the wall for service.
That means you need to be careful when installing it so that it could be removed somewhat easily.

Old 07-03-19, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator
Received 125 Votes on 97 Posts
I'm attaching the installation instructions for putting it thru a wall so you can see what's involved first, if you decide to go that route.
You should be able to zoom in on the pics if you want to save them.

Name:  Frigidaire Installation 1.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  307.7 KB

Name:  Frigidaire Installation 2.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  286.1 KB

PJmax voted this post useful.
Old 07-03-19, 11:52 AM
K
Thanks everyone for the great tips and advice. Especially thanks for sending them instructions. I will have to take the old one out and see what Im dealing with. But I am assuming I will just have to build up my hole in the wall a little to fit a new one.

Thanks again!