Running AC ducts in winter?

Old 07-22-19, 09:06 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Running AC ducts in winter?

I have a Carrier Infinity cooling system in my home (Boston area) -- fan coil in the attic with a FILCAB mechanical air filter.

I'm thinking about upgrading to the Infinity Air Purifier (DGAPAXX1620) because of some allergies in the family.

The cooling system runs through attic ducts from April to October; the other 5 months we heat with forced hot water through baseboard radiators. I usually cover all of the ceiling vents for the winter.

Now my question: can I leave the vents uncovered and run the fan for some hours each day between November and March? That would make use of the air filter. Or is this just a dumb idea, and I should not waste the expense for something I would only use for 7 months a year?

Thanks for your advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-19, 09:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
This is something you'd have a Carrier dealer install..... correct ?

This is a little out of my field as a service tech. It states the equivalent of a MERV 15 filter but with low airflow resistance. That is something an installing dealer would have to confirm. You'd need to make sure not to reduce your system air flow too much or the performance will suffer.

Some concerns..... no matter how well the ducts are insulated when the blower starts you will get some cold air from the start. That may be uncomfortable. I don't how effective it would be in fighting the allergens that you are trying to reduce. It appears to be very similar in design to an electronic filter which means there will some needed routine maintenance that must be done.

Others may have a different spin on the situation and will chime in.

Carrier Air Purifier

Old 07-22-19, 10:58 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes, definitely installed by Carrier dealer. Iím already seeking bids, but wanted to get some independent input here.

Thank you.

Old 07-23-19, 08:04 AM
T
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Duct work insulation is pretty low, somewhere around an R6 value. So keep in mind you're circulating warm room temp air through a poorly insulated duct, some heat loss will be the result. Add that the blower is moving air around, you may wind up with an uncomfortable house.

I would look for a stand alone air purifier system for the winter months.