Help troubleshoot window A/C issue?

Old 08-05-19, 07:36 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help troubleshoot window A/C issue?

Hi folks,
I'm having trouble with my window A/C unit and I'm wondering if you can help me diagnose the issue. It's an 8,000 BTU LG model# LW8016ERY7. For the past couple years, it used to work like a charm; now, it cools perfectly for about 2 hours but then suddenly gets caught, makes a humming/grinding noise, and stops blowing any air out. If I switch to fan mode the unit blows cold air for a few more minutes, then blows uncooled hot air from the outside. If I turn the unit off for a little while and turn it back on, the issue comes up right away, but if I give it a day to rest, it's ready to cool the room for a couple hours again.
Any thoughts on the likely culprit? I'm new to the world of HVAC and would appreciate any tips!
Thanks,
A

Old 08-05-19, 07:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The outside air and inside air are completely separate so although it's blowing warm air...... it's not from outside.

It's hard to get a handle on the problem. It sounds like the compressor is shutting down but the fan should still run normally just not deliver any cold air or deliver cold air for a few minutes until the cold coil gets warm. It may be as simple as a bad run capacitor on the compressor and the fan motor but it's not an easy job to change it. The unit would need to be removed from the window and then disassembled.

Old 08-06-19, 07:57 AM
Received 57 Upvotes on 50 Posts
u can try another run capacitor but it sounds like the compressor is dying.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: