Carrier HC wall air conditioner

Old 08-07-19, 12:31 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Carrier HC wall air conditioner

Good afternoon, all.

Last night, our Carrier HC 32000(?) btu wall air conditioner (the one that cools my entire downstairs) started making a rattling noise, then eventually started humming and stopped blowing air. Now, if I plug it back in and turn it on, it just hums. If I switch it to ďMAX COOLĒ, I can see the fan try to spin, then stop and just hum. Iíve tried manually spin-starting it like I had to do with a smaller model upstairs before eventually just replacing it, but this wonít even spin start.

Is is this something that can be fixed, at least temporarily, or has this monster given up the ghost? Itís probably 20+ years old.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-19, 04:46 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 618 Votes on 571 Posts
Maybe the fan motor is seizing up. Is there any way you can oil the bearings/bushings?

Old 08-07-19, 05:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I donít think so, not without disassembling the unit, and thatís probably not something I could figure out without some guidance. Unfortunately, anyone I called to try to do a repair doesnít work on these units anymore.

Iíve known for some time that this beast was going to have to be replaced. Personally, I wanted to go ductless, but the wife is balking so literally the only replacement unit is the Friedrich Kuhl, to the tune of about $2200.

Old 08-07-19, 05:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,101 Votes on 1,021 Posts
Not much you can do with the unit in the wall. The motor is midway inside the unit requiring it to be pulled from the wall and at least the main cover removed. You could try oiling the bearings if you can get close to them but most of those units use sealed bearings so the outlook with oiling doesn't look good.