Preventing rain water from coming in around window AC unit?

Old 08-23-19, 06:23 AM
M
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Preventing rain water from coming in around window AC unit?

Hey guys, few times now when there are thunderstorms, the rain water is coming into one room from around the AC in the window. This happens only sometimes according to the rain/wind direction. Why this happens only in one room is beyond me.

The AC is setup like all the others with cardboard on both sides sealed off with duct tape and a piece of foam strip along the underneath to block out open air space. I know I have to do something on the outside of the unit but what please?

Old 08-23-19, 08:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
The unit needs to be pitched down slightly towards the outside so the water can't run back in on the top. A window A/C is only a temporary appliance so it can be hard to make it completely weather and rain tight.

I don't imagine the cardboard on the sides is the best sealing product either.
Where is the water coming on...... the sides ?

Old 08-26-19, 07:23 AM
M
Sorry I never received the email notification that someone had replied to my post so I am only now seeing your response when I decided to check in.

Yes the AC is tilted correctly so that's definitely not the issue. The water as mentioned is coming mainly from under the AC as there is a lip on the window frame. This is with all of the AC's here so I have to put a 2" foam strip between the bottom of the AC and the window frame to seal out the open space.

If the bottom of the AC was able to rest on the windows frame's lip then would not be much of an issue.

Old 08-26-19, 08:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
You didn't mention where the water was coming in.

I'm not quite sure what you can use to block the bottom off. Foam is one thing. Maybe a larger piece.
A picture of what you have there would be helpful.

Old 08-27-19, 07:12 AM
M
What I think is happening is when the water quickly fills the base of the window the excess water has nowhere to go but to overflow on either side of the window but why it's only happening on this window is a mystery.

Old 09-01-19, 10:04 AM
V
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I have the same problem. My unit is only 5 months old and already starting to rust. This is a mobile home and not much of a Window seal to mount AC. My grandson installed it, did so without tilt or angle to allow proper water drainage (he lives in Az)! I’m in NC. I’m elderly and disabled...how can I correct this problem without unit falling out the window??

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: