Audible sound through audio system when HVAC initiates

Old 08-24-19, 11:38 AM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Audible sound through audio system when HVAC initiates

I’m posting here even though this problem occurs when both the AC and the heater starts. When it happens (in my friend’s house) there is an audible transient sound through his speakers when he is listening to music. He has tried to figure out where it’s coming from, and has only been able to conclude it’s every time his cooling/heating system starts. As far as I know it’s a standard system - outdoor compressor, indoor heating unit with the AC cooling coil. I told him I’d ask here to see if anyone has any thoughts.

Old 08-24-19, 12:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
I rent, install and service pro audio systems. I have power problems in many locations. It typically comes down to ground loop problems. That's less of a problem in a home but can still be present.

A ground loop is where the system picks up a ground in more than one location.

Does your friend have multiple amplifiers ?
If all the equipment is at one location..... unplug it from where it is now, plug into a power strip and using an extension cord.... plug it into a different room. See if anything changes.

You said standard heating/cooling system. There really isn't any standard. Another problem source could be the blower motor in the air handler/furnace if it's a variable speed/ECM type motor.

Old 08-24-19, 02:28 PM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
We can try that, but if it’s a ground loop then wouldn’t the problem persist while the unit is running? It seems to only happen when it switches on.

Old 08-25-19, 11:40 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Depending on where the ground is coming form.... switching to a different receptacle can change that. The ground on cable equipment can make isolating audio problems an issue.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: