Clogged A/C condensate drain line

Old 09-24-19, 04:16 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Clogged A/C condensate drain line

Just looking for a little help - I'm getting a lot of condensation dripping to my outside line - I've attached a pic of the set up - I've pouring some water/vinegar 50/50 solution down the drain (the one with the opening in the pic). Just wondering if I am missing something or if the set up is off and needs high level repair.

Any help or guidance is appreciated.

Thanks so much.

Name:  cd.jpg
Views: 1686
Size:  117.5 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 09-24-19 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Added labeled pic fromj link
Old 09-24-19, 04:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,949 Upvotes on 3,542 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

WOW..... where do I start.
Was this installed by a contractor ? It is not done correctly.
The drain lines are actually backwards.

I placed two arrows in your picture. The red arrow is the primary drain. Notice it's slightly lower than the blue drain. This is supposed to handle ALL your draining needs. There should be NO water in the overflow pan. (The pan that is extremely rusted there) The blue drain is the overflow line. When water comes out there it means the primary line is clogged. The blue line should be discharging into that pan so that when you see water there you know there's a problem.

Technically.... with the way it's set up..... there should be nothing coming out of the blue line. Since the red line is lower..... it should still be discharging into the overflow pan. If nothing is coming out of the red line.... it's clogged inside the unit.

Old 09-24-19, 05:14 PM
S
Thank you, the arrows are very helpful! It was replaced when we bought the house a couple years ago - the pan had water in it, but I wet vacuumed it out.

So I'm guessing I could just switch the piles and it would work like it was supposed to?

Old 09-24-19, 05:23 PM
Group Moderator
Yes.... switching the pipes would make it correct.

Old 09-24-19, 05:37 PM
S
Awesome. Will do, hopefully a quick switch. Thanks for your help!

Old 09-24-19, 05:40 PM
Group Moderator
Don't forget to clean out the red drain fitting inside the unit. If you have both lines off....... mix some hot water and bleach..... 50/50..... and pour it into the blue side. Algae and other grime tends to build up right at the fittings.

Old 09-25-19, 08:11 AM
S
I didn't even think of that, but makes sense while I have them off. You've been a life saver (and $$$ saver) thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: