Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Air Conditioning and Cooling Systems
Reload this Page >

Vampire electrical consumption of outdoor AC condenser during non-summer seasons

Vampire electrical consumption of outdoor AC condenser during non-summer seasons

Old 10-18-19, 05:29 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Summer 2019 has ended. My outdoor AC condenser is 14 seer unit on breaker that meets my local code. Is it a good idea to turn off the breaker on the panel that provides electricity to AC, OR unplug the condenser from outside wall outlet to eliminate vampire electrical consumption of AC condenser during non-summer seasons? I can just turn on the breaker or plug in the cord into the outdoor wall outlet when summer 2020 starts. Your thoughts?

Old 10-18-19, 07:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
You could turn the breaker off. You won't hurt anything.

The only vampire power draw would be from a compressor crankcase heater which is pretty rare on a split A/C system. It would be more common on a heat pump where the compressor needs to operate in the cold.

Old 10-19-19, 12:40 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
My compressor doesn't have compressor crankcase heater. So it sounds like turning off the AC breaker during non-summer seasons would result in negligible, if any, reduction in vampire power draw from the compressor?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: