One mini split for two rooms

Old 11-29-19, 10:01 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
One mini split for two rooms

I am planning out how I am going to heat and cool my attic that I am finishing. I have a 19 by 12 room and a 8 by 8 bathroom. I want to put the unit on an interior wall in the 19 by 12 room. The other side of that wall will be unfinished attic space. It will also put the unit only about 5 feet from the bathroom. I have been looking at different mini splits and have yet to find one that will allow me to run a duct to the bathroom. I understand that these units are generally not made for the friction that occurs in ducts but it will be such a short run I would think I could find a good solution for this. I know they make setups that allows one condenser with two units but they are like two grand. I would think I could buy one setup that could allow me to run a short duct off the unit to the bathroom. Any help would be appreciated. Also, is there any problems I would run into putting the unit on the wall I was talking about Thanks.

Old 11-29-19, 11:46 AM
R
Received 199 Upvotes on 181 Posts
Get a single ducted indoor unit model.

Old 11-29-19, 04:05 PM
S
Could you elaborate please? All I've seen is the models where there is one big duct. How does that work for going to separate rooms?

Old 11-29-19, 04:13 PM
R
Some of the models available from Samsung I work on regularly. Ducted units that are mounted out of sight above ceilings and in mechanical spaces.

https://www.samsunghvac.com/Single-M...ngle-zone-duct

Old 11-29-19, 04:32 PM
S
So I can attach duct work to those and split it off to separate rooms?

Old 11-29-19, 05:30 PM
R
Yes, various manufacturers have a variety of low and high static ducted units.

Old 11-30-19, 01:33 PM
S
Do you have any examples? Still have yet to find anything that I can attach ducts to. Looks like I have to use two separate air handlers.

Old 11-30-19, 02:02 PM
R
The unit I referenced in the link above is the example. It gets mounted in an unseen area and the duct is routed to the rooms it’s to serve.
The ducted units are not wall mounts. That’s a separate model.
See the separate models in this link-

https://www.samsunghvac.com/wall-cas...Splits-Current

You’d run duct to the bathroom and other areas to be conditioned.
Why would you have to run two separate air handlers?

Old 12-13-19, 02:20 PM
S
I am kind of confused as to how I can route my air correctly to each space with a ducted mini split. I want most of the air going to my main room which 260 sq ft. and then the rest going to my bathroom which is only 70 sq ft. Is there a correct way to come off the unit to make sure I am heating and cooling each room accordingly. How can I calculate which size duct I need to split off from the unit?
On another note how well do mini split cassettes with branch ducts work? This is another option I have been exploring. I could put the cassette in the ceiling and run a duct off that for about 15 to 20 ft to the bathroom.
The last option is to put a regular wall mounted unit on the farthest wall away from the bathroom and try and fit a transfer grill somewhere around the bathroom door but I don't think Ill have much more than a square foot of space because I have to raise the floor on the bathroom to accommodate for plumbing. The thinking behind this would be that the air would be blowing straight towards the bathroom and the transfer grill would move the air to the bathroom.
I added a diagram of what I am planning on doing with the main bedroom at the left of the diagram and the bathroom to the top right and an unfinished space next to the bathroom. I was planning on putting the ducted mini split in that unfinished space if I go that route because it is between the two rooms.
Any thoughts would be very helpful.
I have had several contractors out to look at it and every one has had a different idea.

Attached Images  

Last edited by Steve Parent; 12-13-19 at 04:53 PM.
Old 12-13-19, 07:43 PM
R
You have to fabricate the ductwork for the system, the air distribution system for air handlers is field fabricated.
The supplies off of cassettes work ok but not great.

Old 12-22-19, 03:11 AM
G
Cassett work will not allow much transfer of the heating/cooling. Air handler idea is practical . Customised ductwork will do. Are you trying to do it DIY?

Old 12-23-19, 06:37 AM
S
Yeah im DIY. I'd love some help making sure it'll work. The units im looking at are a 9k and 12k LG cassette. The 9k has a cfm of 300 on high and the 12k is 335 on high. The bathroom vent is 20 feet away. The main room is 240 sq ft. And the bathroom is 70 sq ft. It is an attic so it does have sloped ceilings. I'd like to do this cassete solution. If it's not possible then I'll look into a ducted unit.

Last edited by Steve Parent; 12-23-19 at 07:48 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: