Technical name for this type of insulation is___?

Old 12-11-19, 11:38 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 3
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Technical name for this type of insulation is___?

I live in a condo. We have a unit that controls our heating/cooling called the "heating coil unit". Has a fibre glass filter that sits near the front and a larger thicker "pad" like unit the superintendent called "insulation". MUCH too vague clearly.

Claims if I bought a pad from a contractor it would run me $120 CDN. He has pads he'd sell me for $80.00 CDN.

I'm thinking...he must be trying to put one over on me and make some money. These "insulation pads" couldn't possibly cost more than $20 CDN. Can some one give me the technical name? Maybe even give me a link to a CDN online retailer like Home Depot, Lowe's...etc.??

Thanks in advance!!
Old 12-11-19, 12:53 PM
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,060
Received 31 Votes on 25 Posts
Picture and dimensions of this so called pad? Make / Model number of the unit? Is it a PTAC?
Old 12-11-19, 01:13 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 3
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hey Tomf,

I can take a photo of this pad tomorrow when there's better light. But it is a 1cm thick grey pd about 1ft by 2 ft.

I just need the technical name of this pad so I can search for it on Home Depot's website.

As for the model # of the "fan coil unit"...I suppose I can look inside the unit and hope there's a label under the door (hoping it's not behind the unit. Do you own a shop? Why the details? Just to give me the "technical name" for this type of insulation? There's got to be a name for it. Not looking for the brand. Just the name...clearly it's not "dry wall insulation"...etc.

I'll try to take a photo of it tomorrow and post back if you really need a photo.
Old 12-11-19, 01:59 PM
pugsl's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: United States
Posts: 9,029
Received 76 Votes on 69 Posts
All most all models are different so make and model# help.
Old 12-11-19, 04:37 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 3
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
True. Will have the model# and a photo tomorrow. Thanks
Old 12-12-19, 05:32 AM
airman.1994's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: VA
Posts: 5,795
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
This is beginning to sound like the filter for a Ductless/PTAC
Old 12-22-19, 03:16 AM
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 25
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you wan to search out for it then try to do a guess work in google images and then identify it from its picture it is easier way or provide the picture in this forum so we can help you out.
Old 12-22-19, 08:23 AM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Jersey
Posts: 70,043
Received 2,946 Votes on 2,659 Posts
We need to wait for a picture from the OP before responding further.
Old 12-27-19, 06:57 PM
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: United States
Posts: 1,055
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts

I wonder if the OP was talking about something like these?
I did not look for a price for them but the HVAC tech left the package (empty) behind when they serviced the mini-split units in the apartment complex where I live

Edit: I looked and I found a supplier of them
Attached Images   

Last edited by CircuitBreaker; 12-27-19 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Found a place selling the Mini Strips pads

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: