Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Air Conditioning and Cooling Systems
Reload this Page >

It was time to replace my furnace filter so I bought a new one that was a differ

It was time to replace my furnace filter so I bought a new one that was a differ

Old 01-08-20, 03:29 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

It was time to replace my furnace filter so I bought a new one that apparently was a different brand from the ones I regularly buy. It’s slightly smaller than the regular one despite having the same dimensions. Is that ok? Wouldn’t it technically not filter everything?

The “actual size” apparently differs by like 0.138”, which seems like nothing but it actually looks like a decent amount smaller than the size of the filter holder. I don’t know much about these things, but wouldn’t some air bypass the filter in that small empty area?

Old 01-09-20, 01:52 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
As long as it fits in the furnace, does not fall out then you should be fine.

The filter housing should be able to accommodate a filter that is only 1/8" less in overall size.

Old 01-09-20, 02:10 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
As long as the filter contacts the lip all the way around on the the filter housing it will be fine. When the HVAC is on it will suck the filter to the housing enough to create a seal.

Old 01-09-20, 02:23 AM
M
Received 294 Upvotes on 264 Posts
"wouldn’t some air bypass the filter in that small empty area? Yes
Seems to indicate that there is open space around the filter re: the filter is smaller than the hole.
If this is true than the filter needs to be replaced with one of the proper size.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: