adding refrigerant to refrigerator

Old 10-30-23, 04:53 PM
W
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
adding refrigerant to refrigerator

Does it make sense to add refrigerant to a refrigerator without finding and repairing a leak first?

Top Answer

10-30-23, 05:19 PM
PJmax
Group Moderator
Received 4,051 Upvotes on 3,634 Posts
Could be if it's a very slow leak. Typically it's the evaporator coil inside and almost impossible to fix.
Some have added a bolt-on charge tap.

The methods aren't discussed here but you can find the subject on you tube.

Old 10-30-23, 05:19 PM
Group Moderator
Could be if it's a very slow leak. Typically it's the evaporator coil inside and almost impossible to fix.
Some have added a bolt-on charge tap.

The methods aren't discussed here but you can find the subject on you tube.

CircuitBreaker, WEDEFOK voted this post useful.
Old 10-30-23, 05:36 PM
W
Assuming I do have a very slow leak, will I get at least 6 months out of the fridge before having to add refrigerant again?

Old 10-30-23, 06:18 PM
Group Moderator
There's no way to know for sure.

CircuitBreaker voted this post useful.
Old 10-31-23, 01:19 PM
W
Does the fridge need more refrigerant?

My friend has a fridge Whirlpool WRTS318 something. It stopped cooling. I removed the rear cover in the freezer. There was no frost on evaporating coil, but there was a huge glob of ice in the upper right corner around a limited length of tubing. I removed the ice, checked thermostat, evaporator fan, condenser fan, PTC relay, compressor windings, capacitor, cleaned condenser coil. After the initial inrush current surge, the compressor's current stabilizes at 0.52 A. The condenser coil is never getting even slightly warm. Despite compressor running constantly, the temperature in the freezer would never get below 32F. The air coming in the freezer is cool, but the air coming n my fridge freezer is way colder. When I turn power off, I can hear very faint hiss.
My own working Whirlpool fridge: It's a different model with the same brand Embarco compressor, although I am not sure if compressors are the same. Compressor current stabilizes at 0.74 A. When I turn power off, the hiss is way louder than the fridge in question.
My friend bought his fridge used a few years ago. There is a piercing valve attached to the tubing near the compressor. It seems that someone did add refrigerant to the fridge in the past. I couldn't find any leaks in tubing in the rear or in the condenser coil using soapy water. I didn't check evaporator coil or the tubing in the freezer.
Should I just go ahead, buy necessary accessories and add refrigerant? Can I just buy a pressure gauge first, attach it to the piercing valve and see what it shows and if so, what the gauge is supposed to show?

Old 10-31-23, 06:36 PM
Group Moderator
Removed information. ....

Last edited by PJmax; 10-31-23 at 08:44 PM.
WEDEFOK voted this post useful.
Old 10-31-23, 06:48 PM
W
Does it matter if R134a can says "recharges auto a/c system" or it doesn't matter as long as It R134a?

Old 10-31-23, 07:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,948 Upvotes on 1,748 Posts
The methods aren't discussed here
We don't discuss recharging with people who are not licensed techs. End of discussion.

See: Charging your a/c.

Old 11-01-23, 01:29 PM
Received 81 Upvotes on 76 Posts
it doesn't matter as long as It R134a
This is true just make sure you get pure R-134A and not one with leak sealer other additives.

We don't discuss recharging with people who are not licensed techs. End of discussion.

See: Charging your a/c.
I agree but you can buy R-134A in most states in any auto parts store it is not like R-22 (The good 'ol stuff) or R-410A or others where you need an EPA license!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: