Humidity Levels

Old 11-10-23, 12:09 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Humidity Levels

New family house (used 5-10 days per month) near the coast has central AC/heat and the smart thermostat gives the humidity. Humidity seems to stay in the 60s no matter how much the AC has run over the summer. Was going to get a second meter to see if it is correct but what is the maximum humidity we should have inside and for what amount of time.

Old 11-10-23, 06:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,898 Upvotes on 3,494 Posts
Does it feel comfortable ?
There is no set humidity level.
You may have excessive air infiltration into your house allowing humidity to also enter.
Your system may be running too fast..... cooling too quickly.... and not pulling moisture out of the air.
Do you know where the air handler drain line is ?
Can you see a flow of water when temps and humidity are high ?

Old 11-13-23, 07:05 AM
M
It does feel fine, but I do believe the unit is too big. The drain line does drip when it is running but it does seem to cycle a lot. Just wanted to make sure I did not need to worry about mold.

Old 11-13-23, 07:53 AM
R
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Always a good idea to verify the thermostat humidity reading with a hygrometer that can be calibrated. If your thermostat has a humidity offset function, that would help correct the display value. I use an Oasis Caliber IV to verify and adjust my thermostat temp and RH readings. My experience has been the thermostat humidity sensors get clogged up easily and there is no way to access the sensor for cleaning. My thermostat RH% is now way off and beyond the offset range.

PJmax voted this post useful.
Old 11-13-23, 10:43 AM
M
I had thought about that and will go ahead and get one to test the accuracy. Thank you

Old 11-26-23, 08:11 PM
M
Was able to come down over the holiday weekend with a secondary meter and it stayed between 60-70% relative humidity even with the heater as it was colder than usual. What humidity level would cause concern since neither AC or heating seems to change it too much.

Old 11-27-23, 05:40 AM
R
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
The ASHRAE organization has a set of standards and guidelines regarding indoor temperature and humidity for human occupancy. Here's one of their documents that may offer more insight: https://www.ashrae.org/File%20Librar....01-FAQ-92.pdf

Old 11-27-23, 02:51 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
It is common for air conditioning systems to be oversized. The downside of this is they then do not run long enough to dehumidify the space.

Old 11-27-23, 03:44 PM
M
Thank you, may get a small dehumidifier just to have on hand.

Old 11-27-23, 06:52 PM
M
Follow up to the humidity question as the the attached particles are falling from the ceiling vents as of today. Understand it would be hard to ID but thought it may have something to do with the heat being on as opposed to the AC/heat cycle over the last few weeks. Does not cover the area but is under all the vents.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: