Soap bars

Old 11-17-18, 04:54 AM
E
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Soap bars

I apologize if this isn't the right place to ask this question but I will ask it anyway. There is a DYI video on You Tube that was put there in 2013 that shows a man making a wooden press for making bars of soap out of old pieces. It shows not only the small press he built but also shows him making a new bar of soap out of the pieces he cut. At no time did he say to add water and yesterday I made the press and added the cut pieces, but when I picked the bar up it crumbled into nothing. Does anyone know how I can get that done? Should I add some water to perhaps cause it to stay together? Thanks for any suggestions.

Rich

Old 11-17-18, 05:05 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Try adding water, what have you got to lose?

Old 11-17-18, 05:36 AM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
Since it contains wax, I would think you could melt it down somewhat. Use an old pot or buy a cheap one just for this. As it cools it should harden. Actually thinking about it, a mold might work better than this press.

Old 11-17-18, 05:45 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
I have known several people who made their own soap and they all did it with a double boiler and a mold.
You also need to be prepared for some types of soap to not behave as expected.
Sometimes you don't always get the whole story on the internet!

Try melting it.

Old 11-17-18, 06:42 AM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
I'm trying to picture what Ernie's process (or recipe) has been for getting to this stage.

Most people that I know who've made their own soap from scratch start out with Beef Tallow or Suet; Wood Ash or Lye; and Water to make the basic Soap, and then maybe add some kind of herb or essential oil to create the clean Scent.

It sounds like Ernie is engaged in recycling pieces of used shredded soap bars . . . . and that is where he's run into this difficulty.

Old 11-17-18, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
He has no recipe. He’s using those leftover pieces of soap and putting them in a wooden press in order to ‘press’ them all together but it isn’t working.

Old 11-17-18, 06:00 PM
E
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
This morning I tried again and used some water and it seems to have turned out fine. I won't know for sure until I use the bar in my shower, which might be tomorrow or Monday for sure. I will keep you posted. I am NOT trying to make new soap but I am using cut up pieces from Dove face soap so I don't have to toss the old ones in the trash where they will end up in the landfill for who knows how long. I am not wasting time doing it because I am retired and I have plenty of time to screw around with this project. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: